Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kitties have ear mites. Poor little guys. Anyhoo, the vet treated them with the "powerful stuff" (drawing a blank right now) and I'm too bring them back in a week to make sure they're gone and if not, another treatment.

So, I read in a Prevention book about using olive oil and garlic on cats for ear mites. Steep 4 crushed cloves in 1 cup of olive oil overnite, remove garlic and put several drops in every other day for a month (or until gone).

I'm thinking of using this alternative. But, I thought garlic was toxic to cats? Has anyone heard of this? (the method of treatment?)

Any help appreciated!

TIA

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Weve just always used plain oil. Any type... use a qtip, soak it in oil and carefully and throughly clean out each and every fold and then drop a few drops into the canal, fold close the ear and gently "massage" the oil in.
The oil suffocates the mites, you usually have to do this a few days in a row to get rid of them though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.