Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:

I have excema. The outbreaks seem to be hormone related (break outs after ovulation). I am trying to find a natural, non-steroidal remedy. I have been suffering with it for months and months because I am still nursing my dd (19 months old). Anyone know any natural remedies to help with itch or make the rash disappear???????

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Have you tried an elimination diet? Dairy and egg used to give me eczema (probably still do, but I also have much much worse reactions now.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, yes, I forgot to say that I am on a very limited diet because my dd is very allergic. I DO NOT eat dairy, egg, soy, peanut or nuts.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I hate to say it, but it could be wheat. My son used to have major issues with skin, and when we eliminated wheat and gluten, they disappeared.

He does have Celiac, and what we though was ezcema was actually DH, but the nutritionist said wheat was notorious for causing skin stuff.

As for what made it better--honestly nothing but time and encouraging him not to break the skin. We tried EVERYTHING. Including noxema, which he said felt good.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wendy1221
Eucerine seemed to help mine. And ds gets bad eczema from wheat after his other reactions are over.
Yeah, it took about 2 months of GF diet until we saw results for his skin. The rest of the reactions went away quickly.

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
Pollen and milk were my two big triggers which I tried my best to eliminate. I applied a calendula poultice several time a day for several days and it went away for good. No OTC treatments had even helped.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Something more natural to try than Eucerine(soory, haven't been getting much sleep lately) is evening primrose oil. My friend swears by this. I haven't had eczema since she told me about it, though.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i use an oatmeal lotion for mine... works GREAT when i have an active patch somewhere. i do have to keep using it though, or else it eventually comes back again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ozonated olive oil is really good for soothing eczema (also works great for insect bites, sunburn...basically anything irritating the skin).

·
Registered
676 Posts
We've had some success on ds's skin with unrefined shea butter -- not complete a cure, but definitely less redness/itching.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Our allergist just told us to stay away from eucerin. I actually have a whole 2 page doc I could email you if you're interested.

We like Wiseways Eczema Care Salve for mild flare ups. Depending on where your outbreaks are, oatmeal & chickweed baths seem to help. I just put the oatmeal in a nylon sock, tie a knot & squeeze like a stress ball.
And, I make a chickweed tea.

I've heard Emu oil is great but can't find it.

And, of course, cod liver oil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts