Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I confess that I'm not much of an herbal/natural/home remedy kind of a person so I'm pretty ignorant in the whole arena. And my question isn't even about a person, so I don't know if this is the right place or not. But here goes just in case.

Our Cocker Spaniel, Snickers, has terrible skin. The vet calls it "Cocker Skin", some sort of common chronic infection, and says he should be on pretty much constant antibiotics for the rest of his life. My problem is two-fold. First, I really can't afford $200 a month to keep the dog's skin in a "just tolerable" state. Second, I have to assume that he will become resistant to one antibiotic like people do and so we'll be changing and I'm sure each change will be more expensive than the last.

Symptoms are: extremely dry, itchy patches over most of his skin. Sort of crusty, yellow-ish scales. He scratches so hard they break open and then leave open wounds. He smells awful. Frequent baths (medicated shampoo) help. Antibiotics do help, I just don't want to have to use them forever.

Any thoughts, suggestions, home remedies to try? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I would say start giving your dog acidophilus and cod liver oil. I have never tried it on dogs but works on people. Will see if I can't contact a gal on my vax list that breeds dogs to see what she says....

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
I don't know about dogs but the above mentioned works with cats too. You can get a veterinary probiotic at pet stores, but if you read the ingredients, you can often find the exact same thing in a human product for a better price. I've always just used my Jarrow for our kitties too. They loved the cod liver oil so I just sprinkled some Jarrow in it with a pinch of vit C. Sounds to me like the dog has a skin allergy that gets infected when he scratches at it & wouldn't necessarily just have to be on an antibiotic all the time. Do they make some sort of special hypoallergenic dog food? Maybe that would help too.

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
please--- p.m me to remind me but i know a fab. guy who works at a vets office and knows every trick in the book. i will get a hold of him asap and let you know what he says.]
hope your dog stays as healthy as he she is now.
maya

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
When we first aquired our dog 8 yrs ago, she had horrible skin and fur...due to an alergic response to flea bites. Her skin was raw and red from her chewing herself. I took her to a homeopathic doc, started making her dog food (Dr Pitcairns recipes) and it cleared up. Even though it sounds like your dog has something different.....what you are feeding your dog has something to do with the condition of its skin.

One product I used and continue to use is a spray called AVO DERM, that you can get at Petsmart or Petco. They make a whole line of shampoos etc too, but the spray was really helpful.

HTH!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Here is that info from that gal

Quote:
Do you know where she lives? Do you know if she would be willing to feed fresh foods? Do you know if she would be willing to use homeopathy? The chronic infection comes from the diet, the vaccines, the heartworm meds, and on and on and on. This dog's whole immune system needs a big big boost.

The omega 3's yes, and acidophilus, yes. If she is giving any antibiotics now, make sure the acidophilus is given away from when she doses with the antibiotics.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
another email from her:

Quote:
Rachel, Also suggest to her that she join K9Nutrition - a yahoo group. I know - the little has got to be miserable.If she wishes I can work with her directly but the varied group on K9Nut could be a big help. They've come up with diagnosis that the vets haven't found.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, how very helpful. Here's where we are at the moment. It got so bad that we are back on antibiotics and an antihistamin for the next 2-3 weeks. We are treating for fleas (with Advantage), which have suddenly reappeared. We have a medicated shampoo and bathe him once a week. My hope is that we can get this outbreak under control and then use diet and whatever else to keep things from flaring so badly again.

I will definitely check out the Yahoo group. I live in San Diego. The dog is approx. 9 year old, rescue found, seemingly pure cocker spaniel. I am careful to keep him up to date on vaxes, but I don't use heartworm meds because there isn't too much of a problem here. I would be willing to do fresh food and/or natural treatments if it helps and I can figure out where to start. Seems like I have a couple of things to try and then we'll go from there.

Thanks again everyone. I love the variety of knowledge around here.

·
Banned
934 Posts
I think it's called Dream Coat - it's a vit E, fish oil, and some other stuff combo. Works beautifully - cured my dogs. And cuts down on shedding, too. Available in natural foods stores pet section.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Here was her response to you:

Quote:
Rachel, Since she is in San Diego, she needs to get in touch with Dr. Stephen Blake a homeopathic vet. Up to date on the vaccinations is the one worst things her vet has done to this dog given it's chronic problems. He/she should be sued for malpractice. The fleas have reappeared because of the decline in health. One good thing going the dog has had no heartworm meds. YEAH!!!!

Jackie

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
How about homeopathy?

SOrry about your doggie! That sucks.
I would suggest homeopathy treatment. There ar emany companies out there making remedies for dogs and cats or you can try single remedies: like Sulphur ( http://www.elixirs.com/products.cfm?productcode=P12 ) for example is great for skin in general. It's good for any skin condition.

These are homeopathy combination remedies for pets:

http://www.hmedicine.com/shopping/brand/homeopet

Or here, very good info and products:

http://www.elixirs.com/prodSearch.cf...tCategory=Pets

I use nothing but homeopathy with our dog.

Good luck,

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Pavlina! Thank you so much for posting those links!! I had no idea you could buy nosodes or other homeopathy for pets online!! Now that my pets are older (9yrs), its been one thing after another......and I dont have a homeopathic vet where I live now.

Thank you......that was helpful!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
You are welcome, I am glad I could help

I would also recommend change of diet - of course I don't know what you are feeding your dog, but still I highly recommend WYSONG food. It's the best food on the market.

www.wysong.net

IF you e-mail them they will send you free CD called "How to optimize your pet's health" - totally cool CD!! I have asked them about this CD about 5 times so I can give it out to people. Very interesting unconventional CD!

Hope your dog will feel better soon!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.