Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am 16 days over one due date, 13 over my second and 7 over the third (we never used that one because it was from the 23 week u/s) My drs. are really starting to push for induction since they have let me go over to 42 weeks and Im getting really nervous about it. All NSTs have looked great and I havent allowed a cervical check becqause I know it really means nothing. They are telling me that I have one more week left before they have to induce and Im getting really nervous. I had planned a homebirth but that is now down the drain and the thought of dealing with pitocin is just frightening to me. Any tips on things I can do to help? Right now anything is better than a pitocin induction. I have been walking like crazy but its just not doing much.

· Registered
768 Posts
I'm assuming you've already been doing LOTS of walking and sex? And I mean LOTS of both? Drink plenty of fluids, get just tons of exercise and hang in there. Others have suggested things like: spicy foods, eggplant parm, RRL tea, etc. but really the baby will come when ready...

· Registered
8,691 Posts
I had a medical induction, but avoided the Pit--AROM and prostoglandin gel were enough to get things going. If it came to a hospital induction, could you try that? My MW was mean and made me climb stairs to keep things going (I was sort of 'on the clock' due to fulminating pre-e), but I did avoid the Pitocin.

· Registered
3,460 Posts
I agree with trying castor oil. At worst, it will give you an uncomfortable case of the runs, but won't bring on labor; at best, it will bring on labor. But, even if it doesn't make labor start 'now', it can indeed prompt cervical changes that will ripen you for labor and increase the chance of starting labor 'sooner'.

· Registered
455 Posts
My labor was induced with castor oil at a birth center...worked like a charm for me. I can't say it was the most pleasant way to get things going, but it was definitely nicer than going to the hospital. :) I'd suggest making sure you are well hydrated before beginning, and doing your best to keep some fluids down if you give it a go.

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried 1 oz of castor oil in a small milkshake yesterday and it didnt really do much. I guess I probably didnt take enough but I have heard so many horror stories that it scares me, plus the taste is just aweful.

· Registered
1,236 Posts
I did a home induction at 42 weeks so that we wouldn't have to transfer care. Here's what we did that worked:

-castor oil (2 oz at least! in a milkshake with vanilla ice cream and orange juice)
-AROM by midwives at home

We actually tried castor oil a few times, gradually upping the dose each time. No, it was not pleasant, but it was efficacious.

This time I would absolutely add acupuncture -- probably more effective and gentle than castor oil!

Good luck. After last time, my philosophy regarding this particular intervention is that sometimes a smaller intervention earlier (like acupuncture or castor oil) can prevent a larger one later (like pitocin).

· Registered
43,104 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by leerypolyp View Post
Good luck. After last time, my philosophy regarding this particular intervention is that sometimes a smaller intervention earlier (like acupuncture or castor oil) can prevent a larger one later (like pitocin).
And if you're planning on allowing the larger intervention- I totally agree.

Personally though I won't induce without medical reason. Naturally or otherwise.

-Angela

· Registered
7,597 Posts
Walking and sex. With my youngest, I was dialated to a 5 for weeks before and was getting a little worried about making it to the hospital because I have short labors and live 1/2 hour away. They said they could break my water to induce if I wanted. So I walked. Alot. Sex finally put me into labor.

· Registered
3,460 Posts
FOr myself I agree with Angela. But for the mama who is going to allow induction by medical means at care provider's insistence, then using the methods mentioned here can help. I agree that it takes more than 1oz castor oil! Unfortunately. I would try at least 2oz--followed by another 2 oz in a couple-3hrs if nothing much is happening.

· Registered
418 Posts
I did lots of walking, even walking with my crazy dogs. And sex. My water broke at home less than an hour after having sex.

Of course, my daughter was at +1 station and I was fully effaced, so that obviously helped. The sex just finally tipped the scales.

· Registered
2,137 Posts
My baby was 9 days past EDD, but I always said to myself that I'd do the castor oil at 13 days past EDD since they'd want to do a "real" induction at 42 weeks. Can't hurt at that point, and it might save you from a more medical intervention.

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I just did 2 oz of castor oil an hour ago. I dont think I could do it again so if it doesnt work then it doesnt work. I feel like Im going to throw up
How does it work with denying induction. I have that later u/s date so thats why they are "allowing" me to go one more week but they have already said that 42 weeks is the longest you can go without them getting in trouble. With my dd who I was overdue with... I allowed a round of cervadil and had her 3 days later without using any other form of induction but I dont know if I even want to do that this time.

· Registered
149 Posts
We walked the malls starting a few weeks before my wife's due date. The days she didn't feel like riding all the way to the mall we'd walk the neighborhood.

Nipple stimulation, sex, and relaxation worked for us. Ended up being a few weeks early a little while after we got frisky.

· Registered
1,236 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
And if you're planning on allowing the larger intervention- I totally agree.

Personally though I won't induce without medical reason. Naturally or otherwise.

-Angela
Anecdata: In our case things looked fine on the NST, but an issue that revealed itself after the birth made it clear that the intervention was, in this case, a beneficial thing.

Before that, I had been of the "never induce!" camp, but my thinking shifted somewhat after that. Anyhoo.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.