Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine hs bfing her son and has mastitis. She had it a few weeks ago, wasn't too bad, got it cleared up....and now it's back and worse this time. She's on antibiotics. Is there anything natural she can take to help feel better to get it over with faster?

Thanks,
Jenn

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've heard putting cold cabbage leaves in breasts can offer some relief. She needs to do a serious immune boost with 4-6 dropperfull echinacea ROOT/day, 5,000 mg vit. C/day, and good quality acidophilious/day. The antibiotics can cure it but they also weaken the immune system so when she gets off them she needs to take really good care of herself. Is this mama doing too much? Tell her to slow down!

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Here's some more info to pass on- I had mastitis 3 times, it sucks
:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

She probably didn't get the duct unplugged that was causing the first case of mastitis.

I only took antibiotics the first time- the other times I focused on getting the duct unplugged and took extra Vit. C and ate raw garlic (the capsules don't have the antiviral/antibacterial effect)- raw garlic can be used in the place of antibiotics for a lot of things- it's easier to get it down if you mince a couple cloves and then put it in a big glass of cranberry or other tart, strong tasting juice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Doula recommended this, and it seems to work, if you catch it early enough:
Get a cloth wet with water as hot as you can stand it. Apply castor oil to the cloth, then apply the cloth to the part of your breast that is sore. Cover with some type of plastic then cover with a heating pad. GO TO BED! Rest is the key to this method working, I'm told. This only works if you use the castor oil - don't know why. I've used it twice now, within a day of the pain starting, and it has gone away very quickly! Alternatively, I have used just a heating pad to warm the area and hopefully loosen the clogged duct, and this has worked as well if I catch it REALLY early on.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have mastitis as well right now
: I feel like poo. I actually went to the ER where I work because my ob was out and the nurse said I needed to get it taken care of asap. Anyway she put me on antibiotics and told me to nurse on that side and use warm compresses. I have heard about the cabbage leaves, but I was affraid to use them because I have also heard that is what some women use to dry up their milk. If I just did it a couple times would that be ok?

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
Mastitis sucks! Be careful with cabbage leaves. They CAN dry up some women, or drastically decrease supply. If anyone choose to use them, use them for short intervals only. Do not leave them on for hours at a time to prevent supply problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.