Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,<br>
My one year old is starting to get a cold.(Runny nose mainly)<br>
Last year when I had a bad cold my mom gave me some Grape Seed Extract.It worked wonders!Is this safe to give to my baby at his age?How much?How often?Can I put it in milk or should I stick to juice?What else is out there that I can use?<br>
Thanks for the info.<br>
Sonya

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I'm not sure if you can give it directly to an infant. You may want to visit your health food store to see if they have any made for infants. I know there are echinichea cold formulas and many homeopathic remedies just for babies.<br><br>
If you are nursing, you could take the grapeseed extract and echinaccea and vitamin C and it will pass to baby.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think grapeseed extract would be too bitter for babies even if they could take it.<br><br>
I usually just bulk dd up on Vitamin C if a cold is coming around. I also take Vitamin C, Multi-Vitamin and Echinacia myself to pass through my milk. You can also get childrens echinacia as well.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
There is a great book I have called "Naturally Healthy Babies and Children" by Aviva Jill Romm. It's got loads of natural remedies for kids so is a good resource to have on hand. I think you can buy it online at Powells.com and if you go to Powells' site via the Mothering homepage, Mothering gets some $.<br><br>
Carol

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Check out your natural foods store for baby/childrens products. Mine carries lots of safe products aimed at young children. Don't be afraid to ask for assistence, as the whole thing can be quite overwhelming at first.<br><br>
I have personally used children's versions of echinacea, astragalus, golden root, garlic, and a few other products with my little ones. I can't remember how old they were when I started giving it to them, but I am sure they were not any older than one year.<br><br>
For me, I start out with small doses, and increase as they get older.<br><br>
I like the book Smart Medecine for a Healthier Child, because it tells you what standard medical procedure is in addition to alternative medicine. That way I can spout off the whole gamut of treatment options to my husband (who likes to know as much about it as he can).<br><br>
I also take vit. C, echinacea, garlic, acidophilous, goldenroot, and astragalus so that it passes through my breastmilk.<br><br>
The only way I can get my children to swallow GSE is in a teaspoon of honey. It is SOO bitter! It makes me gag.<br><br>
Oh, and nurse, nurse, nurse that baby!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts