Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 year old has this nasty looking pimply rash that randomly breaks out on his elbows and the surrounding area. It comes and goes at will and I have never treated it before. As of late it is getting nastier looking, so I took him to the ped. The ped said it is eczema and gave us an RX for it. I am not really into the idea of treating it with perscription meds and I would like to see if there are any viable alternatives. He has no allergies to anything (that we know of). Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
My dh has really bad eczema. Nothing totally does the trick, but the things that seem to help are: EFA supplementation (cod liver oil, evening primrose); soaking/showering in hot water, patting dry and immediately putting on plenty of moisturizer (he uses pure coconut oil); and a homeopathic cream we got from Whole Foods called florasone (made by Boericke & Tafel) which helps short-term with itching.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
my dd gets a few spots of eczema, and nothing would get rid of them until i stopped using shampoo on her. we started no-poo, and although she occasionally gets spots (she has supersensitive skin,) the major spots have cleared up considerably.

·
Registered
139 Posts
my dd had severe eczema case and the culprit was nuts I was eating. Once discovered, and eliminated from my diet he skin has cleared up. She has itchy spots at times, but mostly if she gets too hot (we live in FL). I also use calendula oil on her skin and moisture cream. Unlike Mavery, I give her only lukewarm baths, otherwise her skin dries out badly and gets very itchy. I also used homeopathics to treat the eczema by strenghtening her digestive system. Hope this helps your baby. Best luck.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>OhMeOhMy</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">My 10 year old has this nasty looking pimply rash that randomly breaks out on his elbows and the surrounding area. It comes and goes at will and I have never treated it before. As of late it is getting nastier looking, so I took him to the ped. The ped said it is eczema and gave us an RX for it. I am not really into the idea of treating it with perscription meds and I would like to see if there are any viable alternatives. He has no allergies to anything (that we know of). Any suggestions?</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
I have fought off an on with this for years, and can already see it in my youngest. Unfortuntately there are tons of reasons for it. There could be something in his diet he is sensitive to. It could also be bathing products like someone else mentioned. For me, it is nutritional based. A few different deficiencies can cause it (A,Magnesium, certain Bs, I'm half asleep, but research it before trying). For treating the symptoms, use only pure stuff, any colors/smells may burn or hurt. I use pure cocoa butter, or add EOs or calendula, but from what I've read the calendula is great for it.<br><br>
Good luck,

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Isn't it great how md's automatically push the drugs instead of getting to the root of the problem?<br><br>
I'd suggest looking at what he's allergic to (I know you say he isn't allergic to anything, but that's what eczema is...an allergic reaction.) Soaps, shampoos, laundry detergents or fabric softeners as well as any food allergies.<br><br>
Also, hot shower/baths can actually make it WORSE. Lukewarm baths are better.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
We're new to this diagnosis, too, but our doctor (love this man!) recommended pure shea butter and calendula cream. We've been using shea butter from Mountain Rose Herbals because I got high recommendations on them for both quality and price, and California Baby's calendula cream. Lukewarm baths, natural soaps and shampoos and less of them, less often. We put cream on dd within a few minutes of getting out of the bath so her skin absorbs it better. And we're looking at the likely (for her) dietary component -- I think she's been reacting to dairy, so we're doing a 6 week complete elimination followed by a sloooow reitroduction to see what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts