Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My BP is not that high but it's usually borderline, in the 130s/80s. I am losing weight and exercising (gotta kick the exercise into higher gear, I'm in slack mode) but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with other natural remedies?

Does it help to supplement w/magnesium and calcium or is that just in pregnancy?

Garlic?

Anything else?

Thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
30 minute walk every day will do the trick. Walking does so much for your body, I can't even begin to describe the positive effects. You don't even need to do your walk all at once, you can split it up 15min in the am, 15min in the pm. But a brisk walk is the best way to get that BP down.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I also have borderline high blood pressure (130s/70s)- it gets pretty high during pregnancy.
This might be an obvious one, but I notice that limiting salt to the point of almost elimination really makes a difference.
I second taking garlic, and I also have heard cayenne works well too though I've never tried that.
good luck!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all...will do.

Ooh, I love my salt, though. Are there any health issues with the salt substitutes? How long does it take to get over the taste of salt...I really love the stuff.

Does the garlic have to be fresh or are Kyolic tablets OK? We eat a lot of garlic but I'm lazy and use the jar stuff usually...I would be willing to use the fresh. Does it matter if it's cooked or raw?

I will pick up some oatmeal and magnesium too!

And the walking...oh, I like exercise but I just don't make time for it. Gotta re-prioritize.

Thank you all very much!

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
For magnesium I'd recommend getting Natural Calm ... we love it around here and it's very well absorbed by your system because you are making it into a "tea" to drink.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Cayenne is what I keep coming across as I research it myself. Our health food store sells different strengths (heat levels), it's my understanding that the hotter the pepper, the better it controls the BP, but it's also hotter coming out the other end, so be careful about that

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Since I started taking fish oil supplements my BP started going down to the point that I am off of my meds.woohoo!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts