Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My DS (2) and I have both been sick for a couple of weeks now, and I'm pretty sure I have a sinus infection, and I think that may be what is going in with him too. We both have dark colored mucus, are congested, etc. He isn't pulling on his ears of complaining of ear pain, though he has had several ear infections in the past. He isn't sleeping well at all.

My insurance won't allow us to go to a Naturpath, and I don't want to go to our family doc because I know they will automatically put us both on antibiotics, and I feel that DS has just been on them too many times (probably 5 times in his short 2 years already). However, I'm concerned. We just aren't getting better. I'm dosing him with vit. c, echanacia, using saline, sleeping with a cool vaporizer, etc. Do you have suggestions about how we can treat a possible sinus/ear infection without the use of antibiotics, and when do we just go ahead and go to the doc?

We both have been running low grade fevers off and on. BTW, I'm 7 months pregnant, and last time I was pregnant, I had a sinus infection almost the entire last trimester. I'm not looking forward to that again.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I got several suggestions when I posted about my sinus infection on another board. I didn't try all of them so I can't vouch for them, but maybe they will be helpful to you.
-Homeopathic Pulsitilla, check at abchomeopathy.com in the remedy finder to see what it comes up with for you.
-Xclear nasal spray, from Target, its a type of sugar with antibacterial properties. You can also get straight xylitol at the hfs.
-Waterpik with nasal attachment, spray with 1 tsp of sea salt and 2 drops of cajeput or tea tree essential oil in the water.
-Infection Fighter from herballygrounded.com, this was suggested, but I didn't try it.

The pulsitilla has been the most helpful, but I did end up using antibiotics once it had been quite awhile and I was just so tired of it all. The pulsitilla along with saline spray and breathe right nasal strips have kept things under control now that I am done with the antibiotics. I hope they will work when I am pregnant again, I had a sinus infection almost the whole time with dd and I feel your pain.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I also came down with a sinus infection about a couple of weeks ago. I am taking vitamin C, echinacea, cod liver oil (omega 3's are helpful, so CLO or fish oil would be good), and garlic. Pretty much anything that can help boost your immune system and also clear up the congestion would help. For decongesting and general cold season support, I make a tea by steeping some slices of ginger in hot water and then adding lemon and honey.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I'm not sure you can get rid of one without anitbiotics once you get to the dark green snot stage. Is the dark colored snot just in the morning or all day? There is an easy way to confirm it's a sinus infection though you need a pen light. Hold it up to the bridge of your nose in a darkened room in front of a mirror, if you can see a darker area it's definitely a sinus infection. If it's all the same light reddish glow then it's not and you could just keep doing what you're doing. I should say I do believe antibiotics have a place in the world I think they're just used too much, way too much and I've been blessed with doctors who felt the same and one who taught me the trick with the flashlight so I'd know when to worry.

A neti pot prevented sinus infections during pregnancy. Steaming, humidifiers, etc. did little good. And this cold season I've added a neti wash thing that has zinc and grapefruit seed extract and seems to have prevented a cold I felt coming on. I don't know if you can use that when you're pg.

·
Registered
316 Posts
one of the things i have found works pretty well is you boil some water then when its boiling add in 4 or 5 drops of tea tree essential oil and 3 or 4 drops of peppermint essential oil when your head is right down in the steaminess and breathe really deeply. the boiling water pretty much vaporizes the EOs when they hit and the vapors poof right up in your face, so breathe fast when you do it. or you can use a proper vaporizor if you have one (one of the little personal ones because you have to get the essential oils up in there nice and fast) if you start with the peppermint first it opens up your sinuses and then the tee tree oil cleans you out and kills bacteria. it makes me really gooey and i have to blow my nose a bunch of times after, but it really really helps and after a few days of doing that 4 times a day or so it usually clears my infection up (even in the green goopy phase)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts