Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,<br>
I'm delurking to ask a question about hypothyroid. I'm a bfing mom and my OB just diagnosed me as hypothyroid. My TSH was so high (33.3) that he ran the test twice to be sure it was accurate. I have never had thyroid problems and it was always within the normal range even pregnant. But it was at my 5 month visit last week that he said my thyroid is enlarged, so he ran the tests.<br><br>
It appears I'll have to go onto synthroid or some other supplementation for the rest of my life... not sure if there's a homeopathic or natural alternative or if I even SHOULD resist the synthroid. Can you tell I've never given this much thought. All that I've read says it's safe to take while breastfeeding and, in fact, is actually impotant for maintaining a good milk supply and general health. But I also know that I'll be on them for the rest of my life. Yuck!!!<br><br>
Are there any good links, alternative treatments, information I should arm myself with before going down this path? My mom mentioned she once used iodine patches from her chinese medicine practitioner, but I don't think her thyroid was ever at 33!!! Probably just borderline.<br><br>
Thanks in advance,<br>
Kat

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Mine wasn't as high as yours, but my chiro put me on a Thyroid supplement from Biotics. It has a lot of kelp in it, so you could just try taking a kelp supplement (lots of natural iodine.) Just taking this helps me a lot.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Are you hyper or hypothyroid? The supplements for hypothyroidism are definitely safe for breastfeeding.<br><br>
Check out <a href="http://www.thyroid.about.com" target="_blank">www.thyroid.about.com</a> for some good information.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I became hypothyroid after the birth of my second dd - unfortunately, it was over a year before being diagnosed and I was so exhausted I could hardly function. Anyway, I started taking synthroid (the doc told me it was my only option and that I would have to take it the rest of my life). He told me it was not a drug or medication but actually just the missing hormone (of course a synthetic version) and would not cause side effects or cause problems with nursing as long as I was on the correct dose.<br>
It was like a miracle - about a month later , I could function normally again. Anyway, I started doing research after that and found there were some alternatives. For mild cases, supplements sometimes work and there is a natural version of the hormone too. The thing I don't like is that it seems like we are treating the symptom not the problem so I started going to an accupuncturist who is trying to help me restore my system. I have already dropped my dosage in half so I am hopeful that someday I can be off it altogether.<br><br>
Anyway - this is getting long. There are a couple of books out on Thyroid problems - Tyroid Power and The Thyroid Solution are the ones I have read and there are more too.<br><br>
Good luck - It's tough to have low thyroid along with a new baby.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, ladies.<br><br>
Saw my GP today and she told me essentially the same thing. With a number as high as 33 (when I was only 2ish prepregnancy) she said I should be on Levoxyl... with regular monitoring... and that it most likely would be something I take all my life. Apparently post-partum cases of thyroid problems don't get as high as 33... but she's going to monitor me closely.<br><br>
So, that's what I'm going to do now. Now that it's diagnosed, I do realize I haven't felt myself for months... what I thought was being a mommy but I haven't understood why all my mommy friends seem to have their lives together while I can barely get out once a day for an hour. Hoping a month on levoxyl will return me to normal energy levels.<br><br>
Thanks again,<br>
kat

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
i have graves disease. Was diagnosed in 95 and had rai tx to radiate/kill my thyroid. Have been on levoxyl since then. got pregnant and had zoey in 2000, nursed her till 2002 when we started to ttc our last. he was born last month.<br><br>
just read read read and stay on top of your doc or endo. YOu'll learn where you feel best. "in normal range" isn't the same for everyone.<br><br>
take care of you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts