Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am slowly moving our household to all natural and watn to go to the natural toothpaste. REading that the toothpaste my children use has a warning not to let them use it without supervision under the age of six scares me. I am worried that they won't like the taste of the kind like Tom's that I'll pay $5-6 for. Do they have samples anywhere or from the company? Anyone have children that didnt' liek it? Thanks! Lisa

· Registered
9 Posts
Hi Runningmommy,

I too have been trying to clean my house of toxic stuffs. I have come across a great company that is certified organic called ONE Group www.certifiedorganicbeauty.com. All of their products contain ingredients that are 100% good for you. They do have a toothpaste that I have tried and it does taste alot different than the regular toothpaste. I enjoy just knowing that I'm ingesting one less chemical. My kids are not too impressed with it, but I figure i'll keep trying and talk positively about it. They are 4 and 2, I've been talking alot about this food it good you because and this soap is better because. Now my 4 year old always askes "Is this good me mommy?" Sometimes I must look a bit fanatical when he askes these questions in public, but I love the fact that he is thinking what is good and what is not.

It's always amazes me that we have to fight for goodness, but I guess that is just how the world works.

Carren

· Registered
12,879 Posts
My girls love the Toms of Maine silly Strawberry flouride free. They have Silly Srawberry with flouride so be careful which one you get. I had to order from Vitamin Shoppe in order to get frouride free.

I have always loved Tom's

· Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm worried about spending $5 a tube for Tom's and finding out no one will use it. My dh too will most likely bulk at it even though he knows why I do the things I do (trying to be better for us). I guess I just take a shot at it and maybe start with the strawberry??
Wish me luck and thanks for the input!!!

· Registered
4,207 Posts
They make travel size toothpastes. Buy a couple of those to see which ones your kids like. I hate the mango and strawberry Tom's but most kids I know love them. Weleda also makes some decent tasting toothpaste.
Jason's makes some nice tasting toothpastes too. The adults in our house use the tea tree oil one and the kids use the C one.

· Registered
1,537 Posts
We personally do not like toms.. it has never fully really cleaned our teeth.
for the kids we use a combo of
an aryuvedic toothpaste called VICCO
and Weleda childrens (swallowable) gel- 3 -something a tube...
us adults use the vicco and any other on-sale that month item
this month it is JASON- seabreaeze

· Registered
9,015 Posts
We use Toms, dh doesn't but he does not agree with my natural ways so he gets his stuff. The girls do not like the Tom's as much(it is the silly strawberry with flouride) but they will use it. IMO at ages 6, 3 & 2 they have no choice but to use it because I am not buying them something else.

· Registered
899 Posts
We use Nature's Gate. I felt that it had a more freshening feeling than Tom's. Also, it doesn't contain Flouride and I think Tom's does. It comes in several flavors, but I prefer the peppermint (I think they call it Freshmint). HTH

· Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Carrie, you just made me think of something else and I am wondering if anyone else has run into this?? I wouldn't want my kids to dread brushing their teeth becasue they don't like the taste of the toothpaste and then not want to brush their teeth at all or just balk at doing so. It is such an important thing that I dont' want to make them not want to do it, you know? Any thoughts?

Also, now that it has been mentioned, how do you explain daddy does something different? My kids want what daddy has a lot and he chooses to eat the "unhealthy" snacks etc. I want to encourage the healthy lifestyle but they see someone they love and admire doing it differently??? Lvoe to know how it works in others homes.

· Registered
388 Posts
i did not read all of the replies but i thought id post this one. i use baking soda with peppermint essential oil. it is cheap and works soooo good. just thought id throw in my two cents!

· Registered
8,274 Posts
Toms if not my fav but only because of the taste. I LOVE Jason powersmile toothpaste. I buy it online for much cheaper than it is in the stores. My parents love it too so I usually buy about 15 at once and we split the shipping cost. http://www.vitacost.com has it for cheaper. In the stores its 6 and online its 3 something.

· Registered
97 Posts
My DD loves Tom's Silly Strawberry, but I'm curious about the "doesn't get our teeth clean" too, because I notice that sometimes her teeth have a slightly yellow tint to them, but we don't eat junk (mostly) and we brush regularly.... hmmmm

· Registered
388 Posts
for the baking soda toothpaste: i have this little jar and i fill it with baking soda then i add afew drops of peppermint essential oil. i dip my toothbrush in and thats it!

· Registered
2,966 Posts
i love burt's bees lavender mint and their cinnamint. mmmmmmmmm. i like baking soda tpaste too, but i hated it when i was a kid.

· Registered
4,448 Posts
We never liked the Tom's either. Our teeth would get yellow gunk (tartar? plaque?) on them. We were not impressed with Tom's and want to try Burt's Bees. Although I see that Tom's now has a tartar control toothpaste. Maybe we'd try that.

Btw, do teeth need fluoride? Why is it in commercial toothpaste?

Namaste!

· Registered
1,466 Posts
Dh and I use Tom's of Maine gel toothpaste (it is a little runnier than the regular stuff but tastes good and feels pretty clean) -- my girls use the Silly Strawberry and really seem to like it. My youngest has issues with the taste of toothpaste but will accept that kind. I have info from a LLL area conference I went to last year about the use of flouride and how there are 2 kinds -- I will have to try to dig it up later.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.