Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! Does anyone know of natural cures for either of these? Two of my friend's kids have head lice and one also has pinworms (poor kid). I've heard that pumpkin seeds are good for worms, but don't have anything to back it up. For now the child is eating raw cabbage since the mom heard that is effective.

She is washing all of the bedding, clothing, everything to try and prevent the other kids (there are 4 altogether) from getting either of these scourges.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

C

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
I don't know about the worms but I would try something to take care of those ASAP. They can spread easily among the whole family. (Kids will scratch their hind ends at night when the worms come out to lay eggs, and they get the eggs under their fingernails and spread them to others, as well as put them back in their own system through their mouths.)

Head lice can be cured through putting heavy vaseline in the hair. I mean like slather it on. Leave it at least overnight, come the nits out the morning with a special lice comb. Repeat until they are all gone and then some. The vaseline will suffocate the existing lice and make it too greasy for the hatchlings to latch on to the hair. People do this in India.

Darshani

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Darshani, I will pass this on asap. Unfortunately, I think she already got some sort of chemical to put on the lice. Personally, I wouldn't use anything like that on my kids, but I will definitely tell her about the vaseline.

I KWYM about the pinworms. I'm freaking out a little bit myself b/c they were over here on New Year's Eve! I did a complete vaccuum of where the kids were and checked dd's hair for nits already. I really hope we don't catch either one of these. Not sure what else I can do to prevent, except not playing with them for a while. Sigh.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
My mil used mayo (probably the same idea as the vaseline in the above post)for headlice and then rinsed their hair w/ vinager to keep them out. The vinager smell goes away over night, but the residue is apparently not liked by the lice. She also tightly braided her dd hair to aid in prevention. They had a kid at their school in 1970 something who was passing it like wild fire (he was foreign and the family ate the lice -- oooh gross).

Other headlice preventatives... Don't use coat rooms, keep your coat w you. Don't share hats, even in the same family if head lice is going around at school. Don't use another persons hairbrush, comb or hair accessories.

As for pinworm, my mother used vaseline on me. When they come out to lay eggs they get stuck in it and can not do their job and then eventually they are dead gone. It is so gross for me to remember that...

These helpful tips are still good to know since a lot of lice are becoming resistant to the chemical treatments.

·
Registered
595 Posts
A mom I work with uses this on her boys at the first sight. I don't know much about the shampoo so I can't vouch for how natural it is.

It can be purchased at major stores I think.

Shejust washes eveyone, even the unaffected till the lice are gone. She swears by it and of course it is not as harmful or expensive as the chemical treatments.

JennP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.