Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very healthy, happy, fat baby boy who is currently 9 1/2 mo old. Although he is my third, this is the first time I've breastfed. He seems to be weening himself already, but I didn't think it would happen this early. Is it healthy? Although he enjoys bfing, and prefers it to when I make bottles for him, for a while now he's been down to three times a day - when he wakes in the morning, after lunch and before dinner. If I try any other times he'll suck a few times, pop off and crawl away. Lately though he's been only using one side in the morning and frequently skipping either lunch or dinner. I do try to nurse him anyways, but he doesn't seem interested. The other day he ate for about 5 minutes for lunch and two sucks for dinner and that was all. He does eat alot of food. I've always fed him on demand either way. His food diet is at least 1/2 vegetables, he also eats fruits, veggie cheese every now and then as a treat, some whole grain cereals/breads/pastas about once a day and beans. I don'tknow that a 9 1/2 mo would be able to get all of his nutrients from food, even if it is healthy. The only other things he has to drink are water and vegetable juice (homemade), but he doesn't have them very often. I was a little concerned when I started bfing him because I heard stories of kids that didn't self wean until they were 7. I heard that many don't want to until they were 3 or 4. I never heard anything about them doing it before they were 1!

Any BTDT or thoughts on this?

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
All babies got through distracted periods from time to time. Usually when they are learning a new skill, like crawling, walking, talking, etc. Once they've mastered that skill and aren't so engrossed in it, they pick up on nursing again. Natural weaning doesn't usually occur before 2 years old. Really, from talking to mamas irl who did child led weaning, most kids seem to wean on their own between 3 and 6 years of age. With some weaning around 2.5 and some going to 7 or 8.

Has he been making up for it at night? That's what both of mine did when they went though distracted periods. Also, your baby is much more efficient now. He is probably getting a full feed in just 5 minutes now.
HTH!

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
If he cuts out nursing entirely, I would consider it a nursing strike, not weaning. My kids slowed down on nursing from around 10 months to 15 months. Then they picked it up again. It could be teething pain. You could try a little Hyland's gel on his gums when he does the few sucks and pops off. Or you could pump and give it to him in a bottle for the time being. I just kept offering and co-slept so baby could nurse at night if needed. My oldest weaned at 3 yrs 9 months. My younger 2 are still going.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think you're right that it is a distraction thing. He seems to do well with bottles - he crawls all over the floor and rolls around and stands up and walks with them. THAT is what he tries to do when I'm feeding him! He starts to turn around and walk away. When he realizes that it's not going to work well, he pops off and goes to do his own thing. I think I'll give him more bottles to fit his lifestyle

He hasn't had a night feeding since he was a couple of months old. He normally sleeps through the night, waking only if he's hot or cold. At first I would try to feed him when he did wake up and he would get REALLY mad. From the hours of 8pm to 4 or 5 am all he cares about is sleep. He used to have a good feeding when he woke though, sometimes taking an hour or two. Now it's maybe 15 minutes if he's feeling really cuddly. And co sleeping is no longer an option, he doesn't want to sleep in my bed
. I've let all three of my kids move to their own beds when they wanted to, he wanted to really early. He won't sleep in my bed, he wakes up and cries 3 or 4 times an hour in the most distressed and inconsolable way. The second I stick him in his bed he's out for the night though. He's a very, very independant child and it's really great, although a little sad.

He's not teething, but I'll keep in mind the recommendation for teething gel for the next time he is.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I recently read pediatric advice which stated that babies should be given sippy cups instead of bottles for drinking, and regular cups as soon as possible. If they are contantly sipping at milk/juice, it rots the teeth.

Don't mean that to sound critical....sorry if it does!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He doesn't sip, he gulps :LOL. I do give him a sippy cup much of the time, although when he's STARVING TO DEATH they just don't work fast enough for him and he gets the bottle (which he finishes without coming up for air!). I think of it all as bottles though cause my breast pump only fits a bottle, so I always make a bottle, then pour it into a cup.

But that is good advice. I know a couple of people whose babies always had bottles of milk and juice and it ate all the enamel off their teeth
. There is a beautiful little girl that I babysit that starts school this year and all she has in the front on top are two brown stubs. She was teased a bit in head start, I hope it's not worse in K.

Diana

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.