Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if others have experienced nausea during labor and what you did for it?

During my first labor, I wouldn't characterize it as "painful", rather as "very miserable-feeling" b/c of the nausea. I actually felt like I had the flu. This was throughout active labor, not just transition.

I'm wondering if I should expect this again, if it's a common experience? Any homeopathics, herbs for it? The nausea is actually the reason that I stayed out of the water, and I'd really like to birth in the water this time.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I was nauseous with my first, and ended up puking in a wastebasket in admitting. Heh. That was pre-transition, by many hours. Basically I was nauseous from when labor began, and for several hours, and felt better after I vomitted.

I wasn't nauseous at all with my dd, though. I felt great throughout. I ate lightly, and drank as I wanted to.

It could be linked to dehydration, which is also a cause of contractions, sometimes. I think I was so nervous/excited with the first that i might well have been dehydrated.

I wouldn't assume that you'd feel the same way again, though, is my point.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
I threw up every single time.:puke

I had diahrreah first, then I puked

I vomited all through labor.
Every time

I kept a five gallon bucket near my bed or at the toilet as I had diahrrea also the entire time.

The funny thing is, I NEVER had morning sickness early in pregnancy; I guess I just made up for it in labor. Yech!

After labor, each time, my digestive system was completely clear! I was not hungry for a week! NO appetite, no BM, just staying in bed enjoying my new baby!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I threw up four times during labor.

This time I am giving birth at a birth center where women are encouraged to eat and drink during labor. One of my MW's suggestions was to bring along some cola; it's been used for a long time to ease nausea. In fact, they sell cola syrup at the pharmacy for this purpose. Maybe try it if you think of it?

BTW, I am not a soda drinker at all, but am willing to try whatever works!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I've thrown up during all four of my labors. I tried eating, drinking, suckers, ginger ale, popsicles. accupressure. It really bothered me for the first two; for the second two labors I just threw up and moved on. From what I read, it has something to do with prostagladin levels. My mother did it to, seven labors.

My real advice is to not eat anything you are not willing to see again when you start feeling like labor might start soon. It can really turn you off your favorite food, KWIM?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had two natural childbirths.
With my first child I did not get sick durring labor.
But with my second child I think it hurt more, so I threw up a few times when the pain got really bad at about 8 1/2 cm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.