Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,
I got my first wave of nausea yesterday- not too strong or long-lasting, but not pleasant- and another, longer/stronger one today. I guess six weeks is pretty typical for this nonsense. Both waves have come in the afternoon, several hours after taking my prenatal. There are lots of remedies online, but I'm wondering if there are any little-known/natural things anyone could recommend. Aromatherapy, positions, etc.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Get those little ginger chews from a co op or health food store (make sure they are 100% ginger). Also, morning sickness is called morning sickness because it's common to get more nausea when you have an empty stomach (which is mostly in the morning). Carry around little snacks like nuts, pretzels, ect...(nothing sugary, that makes it worse) and keep your belly from getting empty.

Also, prenatal vitamins are notorious for triggering nausea in pregnant women. If it gets to much, midwifes will recommend skipping prenatals (if you are already have a healthy diet) and just taking the recommended dose of folic acid.

Whatever you do, I would not (unless it's VERY severe and you can't keep food down) take prescription medication for it. Zofran is the go to med for morning sickness and some docs will pass it out like candy. Recently there has been research that shows that it may cause birth defects, but officially the word is still out on that. Do a Google search on diphenhydramine and vitamin B6. These are both safe to take during pregnancy and are widely used in other developed nations. I just don't think the FDA has done enough research (aka, been offered enough money) to approve it yet in the US.

Anyway, hope you don't wind up suffering too much from it because it can be a REAL PIA!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, Ginger and peppermint is so good, also getting good fats in and a nutrient dense diet (not carbs and breads and stuff) sugar can make nausea worse.
Sucking on a lemon seems to help for whatever reason.

I made a drink (from Trim Healthy Mama) with ginger and stevia (or honey) and apple cider vinegar that may help too.

As far as prenatals, maybe just take some cod liver oil and use a magnesium soak daily and get your folate in with foods or just that as a supplement. food based prenatals seem to be more gentle too.

:hug:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not sure if this time around I'm having a girl or if what I'm using is helping with the morning sickness. I've been using a magnesium spray by Ancient Minerals at bedtime and Ginger Essential oil. Diffusing Frankincense also seems to work pretty well. I haven't actually woken up sick either and I diffuse Lavender and Frankincense at night so that could be the reason as well. Hope everyone's hanging in there, morning sickness is by far my least favorite part of the pregnancy!!:crap Feel well Mamas!!:Hug:Hug

Reactions: Reyhan

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have not had the "morning sickness" issue - I am sick from 10-3pm like clock work. Its very deceiving when you wake up in the morning and feel prety good, but then it hits you like a ton of bricks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ugh, I've been having bouts of nausea too. Not fun. It's definitely worse on an empty stomach. Unfortunately, the carb-y, bread-y, sugary food does provide temporary relief, but leaves me feeling exhausted (even more than usual) and foggy.

I'll have to try some of the ginger chews and definitely need to prioritize a healthy diet. Nausea, food aversions and cravings were so awful during my last pregnancy and I can already feel them starting to get problematic this time around, too...

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I'm really suffering. It kicked in right on schedule - first waves at 5.5 weeks, then full-blown nausea at 6 weeks (which I do appreciate can be a sign of a healthy pregnancy, but please God, couldn't there be a gentler sign???). Coupled with the splitting headaches & fatigue, work is awful. And I can't even smell coffee, so the lack of caffeine is compounding everything. Today I took two tylenol & drank a diet snapple (not actually the best stuff on earth, but better than lying in a puddle on my office floor), and it actually helped a lot.

Eating definitely helps, but then I feel so bloated & stuffed from constantly eating (and from constipation), that I'm just kind of a miserable puffy mess all day.

This too shall pass, this too shall pass...

What are people eating for lunch? I could really use ideas beyond plain bagels:)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sick all day long. Different things help at different times -- sometimes eating a bit of carbs with protein can help. Almond butter on a cracker, that kind of thing. Ginger has done nothing for me through the years. But sometimes drinking lemon water or seltzer water instead of plain water helps. Plain water actually makes my nausea worse. Also, vanilla milkshakes work on the days I can keep nothing down. Sometimes. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rosehip, I haven't had nausea issues yet (knock wood!) but for constipation (which I have had, and which is terrible!) I've been eating prunes every day. I bought a giant bag at Costco and keep them in my desk at work - I have 3 or 4 every day. Do you think they would put your stomach off too much?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Rosehip, I haven't had nausea issues yet (knock wood!) but for constipation (which I have had, and which is terrible!) I've been eating prunes every day. I bought a giant bag at Costco and keep them in my desk at work - I have 3 or 4 every day. Do you think they would put your stomach off too much?
I'll try it! I just can't stand feeling so bloated. I feel GROSS. I don't know how else to say it. I'm never constipated when not pregnant, and I really don't cope well with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My "morning sickness" has been manifesting itself as food aversion to just about everything. Except avocado sushi rolls, I can still eat 3 of those in one sitting and not throw up. Everything else just doesn't even look like food to me right now, but I've been keeping some small snacks at my desk at work just to get something to eat.

I have to say that there is something to be said for vitamin B6. Not sure what you ladies think, because I know that too much of it can cause nerve damage? I also read that the low recommended dose for pregnancy has minimal risk. I started taking 2.0mg twice per day and seemed to feel a bit better after.

Thank you for the recommendation Soleilmama333, I'm definitely trying the ginger chews soon!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read somewhere online that when the morning sickness is high it has to do with extra hormones being produced and for some reason it causes your blood sugar to get low quicker. If I have not cooked a meal yet and I need FAST relief I will drink a soda and it goes away. I know a lot of people are generally against soda bc of all of the sugar in it but it actually helps me. I'm usually a dark soda drinker but lately Sprite and Ginger ale are my sodas of choice bc I dont feel thirstier after drinking them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts