Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think? I'm planning on buying about 20 NB/S Harleyz Pocket Dipes and using them as covers for a NB. Also buying several dozen preemie (since my last kiddie was 6 lb 4 oz) and infant prefolds and laying them in the pocket dipes during the first severals weeks and then using them as inserts when the babe gets big enough. Anyone with any experience in this? Do you think this will hold in bf poop?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hmm- I've never used them as covers, just as pocket dipes so not sure I can be of help. They do hold in bfp well. But, I'm thinking that they are so trim that if you lay the prefold in the diaper rather than in the pocket, the prefold might slip out or bunch up funny without the pocket to hold it in place.

Okay, I was curious about this so I just tried laying an infant prefold in it. I had to fold it in forths to fit, so that gets pretty bulky in the middle! It will fit into the pocket okay though. I never thought about using a prefold as an insert- my heavy wetter needs a more absorbant insert than the ones I'd tried. Maybe I'll pull my dipes from TP and try out the prefold as insert before giving up!

What is your reason for wanting to use the dipes as covers at first instead of pocket dipes?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I had heard that pockets have not been working for NB very well but fitteds and covers do the job well. However, I'm a big pocket fan (and so is dh - he likes it simple), so I thought that instead of buying fitteds and covers for a first several weeks (or so) and then pockets for the next few months, to just get pockets from the very start and use them as covers in the beginning with some preemie prefolds. I've heard from issues about absorbency with preemie prefolds but I'm thinking that I'll have to change so often that it shouldn't matter. And I wanted to try Harleyz over other brands of pockets b/c they fit from NB to 15 lbs and I already have a medium stash ready to go. KWIM? Thanks for doing the experiment for me! Maybe the preemie ones would fit better? I was concerned about the trim fit of the Harleyz working as a cover, myself.

But I've been using infant prefolds as inserts in my Harleyz b/c the Pocket Palz weren't enough and it's been working great - and I can fan it out a bit in the front for more coverage for my little boy. Thanks again for you input!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts