Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't CD my dd until she was 6 months, so I hope to get some help from more experienced CDer's...

My dd was just a little over 6 lbs at births but grew pretty quickly to the big baby she was at 6 months (we started in larges right away for most diapers, the few mediums we had didn't fit after 2 months, the larges still fit now).

I would like to CD this new baby from the beginning, but don't really want to buy too many sizes of diapers. I would love a diaper that goes from nb to medium (or at least 15 lbs or so).

Prefolds are not really an option because my husband won't use them and I am not sure that I want to when changing 12 or more newborn diapers a day.

I plan on using mostly wool covers, so snaps would be better.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does anyone have any experience putting Sugar peas on a 6 lber?

I have some ME Onesize which also claim to be, well, one size. One of my friends had an 8 lb baby and they were too big.

The NB Cuddlebuns look nice, and if they go to 12 lbs, that would probably be okay. Or do they run small?

I love the idea of purely NB diaps, but would be stuck with them here in Germany after a month or so....(shipping back to the US is really high)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
NAK. Just remember that nb dipes seem to have pretty good resale value.

Also, I would look into the sugar peas side snap size small. theuy look really tiny, but they fit my ds forever. super trim. Sadly they can have probs w/ serging. Otherwise faboo.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
What about Ecobaby Absorbitalls? They are a 2-size system (side-snap). The "infant" size fits 8-21lbs. They definitely fit for a long time. I really like them.

You could use preemie cpf's and some affordable wraps until your baby fits the Absorbitalls....if you end up having another 6lber.

Another idea would be to do the cpf's and then go into a one-size dipe when the baby gets a little bigger....either ME OS, CB OS, etc.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am really trying to stay away from the pre-fold, my husband will not use them, he will reach for a disposable first(we CD our dd, we have prefolds, which only I use, so this is not just a guess)... and he does most of the diaper changing at the beginning, something I am not willing to change
. He will use a fitted and a cover.

I really wanted to CD this baby from the beginning, but I can plan a stash for 8+ lbs and if he/she is smaller use disposables until 8+.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I cant help ya out witha two size diaper, but I most used washcloths folded into covers and nanipoos nb diapers I loved the snap down umbilical cord notch. I know you wnted to stay away from preolds, but I mostly used the washcloths. They fit so nicely into the nb covers. The kissaluvs it ds for a while too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I just lay the washcloth or pre-fold in, does this mean that I have to wash the cover after every use? I have tried that with my dd, and well, after every poo, there is a dirty cover, and newborns poo A LOT!

·
Registered
142 Posts
hi! I have been told using Kissaluvs might be an affordable way to go without investing a lot, especially since they grow so quickly! I think you need a cover with them, but it's certainly something to consider! Looks pretty easy to use too...this is what I'm considering with #3 in the future. Go to: http://www.kissaluvs.com
btw, where in germany are you?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
If I thought I'd have a small baby, I'd get 24 KL 0s. You should be able to find a distributor in Germany on the KL website, too! www.kissaluvs.com I have 10 of them waiting for the new baby, and I will buy more if I can find them for a good price on the TP :LOL They have snaps, and will definately fit a 6lber! The other NB dipe I have is a XS FB. These are so cute, and fit on DDs dolls, so I'm thinking they will fit a NB, but a 6lber might be streaching it. THe rise might be a bit too much?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The newborn CB are cute, cute, and my dd is over 10 lbs with them now with room to grow...BUT, the absorbancy is just not cutting it and she's only 2 wks. old. The newborn from www.sugarplumbaby.com I would recommend, she still has a bunch of room to grow. I really would recommend a few NB dipes as the rise of my smalls is just way too high...I do like the Kissaluvs, too, and FLAMs, if you can get them.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I hear tykie diapers fit a very large size range.

Another good option is liz cloth two size.. she has front snappers too.

But, if it were me, what i would do is get 18 infant sized bum-ware easy AIO's. They should start fitting at about 10lbs and will last unil well over 20lbs.. For my baby, that was at about 18 months. For the little bitty stage and I'd get probably 8 of the bum-ware nb size (because it's always nice to have somet that REALLY fit).. and to cover both the nb and small size range, I'd get 18 of the prefold fitteds from grow me a rainbow or pipsqueak diapers ... anyone can figure out a snappi but the diaper can also be used just laid into a wrap if need be. no figuring out folds and they'll hold in nb poo better. that way, for that itty bitty stage, you'll have about 26 diapers to get you through the nb stage and 36 once the baby hits ten lbs.

Sugarpeas are a good option also. And, a diaper I think would be fab for just past that itty bitty stage is loveybums size medium.. 9-22lbs is a great range and it won't take long for a baby to get to 9lbs. I know for our next baby, I'm going to have a dozen premie prefolds on hand.. if I don't get to use them as diapers, they make great burp cloths so you just can't go wrong.

If you get a cover like a front aplix from mudpiebabies that is fleece lined, you can lay a hemp doubler in there and have an instant AIO for a nb that is nice and trim.

So many optiosn! *LOL*... I'm not being much help I know. But in your shoes, I'd do what I said above with the prefold fitteds and the bume-ware AIO's. Nice and simple. Good luck!

Amber

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Hmm. Ds was big - 10lb 8 oz - and none of my small diapers and covers fitted him. Sigh

We went straight into wonderoos (one sized) and they fit well. We also went into medium FBs on the tightest snaps, and three weeks later we're on the second to tightest. They do grow so fast that you'll be amazed how quick you're up a size!

So, from my varied and exciting stash, all we use are the medium FB and Wonderoos as they actually fitted. I"m so glad that I bought them, and now have to think about whether or not to sell the small fitteds and covers that we washed but never used. The wonderoos also fit my rather chunky two and a half year old, although they are tightish and I only use them in an emergency on her. But if you're children aren't chunky toddlers, they would work right through for you. I"m really impressed by them, they wash well, dry quickly, didnt stain and hold in the b/f poop - no blowouts so far.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom_in_training

I love the idea of purely NB diaps, but would be stuck with them here in Germany after a month or so....(shipping back to the US is really high)
I live in Finland and resell my diapers on ebay all the time, and just charge the buyer for shipping, and so far it hasn't made people not bid on my auctions!
It actually costs me about 6 dollars to ship something small in a letter box back to the US, priority, but I put a five dollar charge for shipping on the auction because I think it seems more palatable.
Just wanted to point that out, first of all--ebay is a great place to resell diapers.

As for your original question, I totally agree with sugarpeas size small side snappers--those would fit from the beginning and fit a long time. Also KHW size small has a big size range, for some they fit from birth to 4+ months (do a search for Kindheartedwomen small pictures or something like that and you will find Lauira's posts about how they fit her Anika so well from birth to a chubby stage at around 4 months, and fit *perfect*). They are not widely available at the moment, but PM me for advice on how to score some if you are interested.

I'm also a big fan of Very Baby very basic AIOs, although they are a multi-sized system. Those things have RESALE value, though!
So you won't lose much money on selling your XSs to get Ss, etc.... Also I hear the medium size works great by ten pounds or so, and fits FOREVER (PT for most, unless the kiddo has a really long rise), so you could theoretically skip the size small, use the XSs until they don't fit and then sell them for mediums.

I'm so into the idea of having diapers that fit well on a newborn that I'm building a stash with both of the previous dipes: VB AIOs in x-small for that hates-to-be-changed-newborn-period (Plus they are SO trim that I won't be strapping a bulky diaper on a tiny babe and can just bask in the eensy weensy-ness of my newborn, kwim?), and then as soon as babe chunks up a tad and doesn't act like he's being tortured with every moment that he's being subjected to a diaper change, then KHW size small....maybe with newborn bumpy covers (those covers run pretty darn huge, like a largeish size small that fits through size medium) or loveybums small covers. (I may also do some prefolds in that size 'small' period when my DS actually enjoyed the diaper change, but they would be Regular prefolds trimmed down into squares for the extra width without all the bulk of folding down the rise.)

Good luck! HTH

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
I recently had a 7 pounder. If you think you're going to have a baby in the 6 lb. range, honestly, I would just use preemie prefolds, preemie sposie's, or washcloths. Nothing fit my 7 pounder. I had a whole stash of nb fitteds and almost all of them were too big. And it is so hard to get their little legs to stretch out at first. I definitely advise against side-snapping diapers for the first few weeks. We ended up using preemie sposies for the first week and then once the umbilical cord fell off, we were able to use our nb diapers. It wasn't until she was 3 or 4 weeks that anything besides a nb diaper would fit her. And there's no way a small or one-size diaper would have fit in the beginning. I'm not a big fan of one-size diapers anyway, but honestly, they do not work on a newborn. Maybe at around 10 pounds they would work. My favorite newborn diapers were Kissaluv's size 0 and Nanipoos. I liked our FLAM and our LC 0 too, but they are very difficult to get ahold of. I'd go with Kissaluv 0's or preemie prefolds. If you are really against getting nb diapers, then just use sposie's for the first few weeks until she is big enough to wear a one-size diaper. HTH!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am going to be really busy looking up all these web site. My dd has fit into her larges and one-sizes for almost a year now, so I haven't really looked for new diapers for a while. A lot of your recommendations aren't readily available
: (my dh wants the stash to be all the same, too). So it is good that I have lots of time.

Has anyone tried the XS Sandy's? We used some small sandy's as a "medium" diaper and were reasonably happy with the fit (they just took forever to dry.....) would they be compareable with the Kissaluvs (just lots cheaper, similar material, also take forever to dry).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.