Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi mamas...<br><br>
I am a big-time lurker/reader and have never posted here before, but I am really in need of a pep talk/advice. My son turned 1 on the 4th of this month, and we generally still nurse 3-4x a day. I have always had an iffy supply, and by the end of the day my let-down is really slow. My son likes to pinch me while he nurses, and gets angry if I try to gently keep him from doing it. Usually, he expresses this anger by biting. At the end of the day when I don't let down quickly, he is extra pinchy and bitey. Tonight was extra awful...I called it quits before I was able to let down because the pinching/biting combo had me so stressed and angry that I needed to leave the room before I took it out on the baby (I have never disciplined him physically, and do not plan to start anytime soon).<br><br>
I would love to keep up nursing until he is 2, but right now I am nearing the end of my rope. Any kind words or advice would be very much appreciated right about now. I am trying to unwind, am going to take a hot shower, and try again in a while.<br><br>
Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Ds2 went through a pinching and biting phase. I would remove his hands when he would try to pinch and tell him "Don't pinch mommy, it hurts." and when he bites I unlatch him and tell him "No biting, that hurts mommy." When he starts to get a bit fussy because he wants to nurse we will resume nursing. If he starts pinching and biting again, just repeat the cycle. He will learn that biting makes the nursies go away and will stop when he's serious about nursing. I know only really get a bite when he's done nursing, and even then it's very rare.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I definitely agree with Logan's mommy's tactic.<br><br>
Also it is possible that right now he is going through some teething which will increase his desire to bite while nursing. Hopefully with time and some encouragement from you the biting will lessen.<br><br>
At the end of the day when you know it will be worse, make sure you are very well hydrated to help with your supply. Try to go in to the nursing session relaxed. A cup of tea beforehand will help both of those! A quiet dark room helps. Make sure he has a fully belly of food and has had some water, so that his need for the milk is lower at that time.<br><br>
hope something in there helps!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I feel for you--my 20 mos old DD has had periods of biting, usually when teething is an issue, and I remember the anxiety and fear of starting a nursing session. IMO, you can say 'no biting' and set him down and be done nursing for a bit. Like in a previous post, the idea is that it sends the message that biting makes the nursing stop. It really should go away.... Is there any chance you are pregnant? I ask only because my supply changed so much when I first was and my DD did not like it and let me know!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much...<br><br>
Nope, not pregnant. I've had supply issues all along, though. I was on Domperidone until he hit 6 months and started solids.<br><br>
Things have been better the last few days, though. I so appreciate the advice...thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts