Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nearly 2 year old is having an unusual amount of difficulty with clothing transitions.

Any change with his clothing (either going on or coming off) leaves him devastated. I have been trying limit clothing changes as much as possible and give him lots of opportunities to refuse, hoping that he will decide to go along with changing and this phase will pass, but it is not working.

He has been wearing his pjs (and the dirty diaper he slept in to the bus stop each morning
) but he has a tantrum every morning about putting his coat/shoes on. The when we get back from the bus - he won't take his coat off which is fine. I have been letting him lounge around in it all morning, but eventually I have to change his diaper and it causes a full blown tantrum. Today the tantrum lasted for 45 minutes and even at the end he was carrying around his dirty pjs and coat and wimpering. This goes on ALL DAY EVERY DAY with every clothing change. Suggestions? I have tried a bunch of things, but thought maybe you wise mamas had some new ideas.

HELP US!!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
is your house warm enough that you could let him run free without clothes, naked or just a dipe? Maybe start with a diaper change then let him run around before you put the clothes on so you're not trying to change the diaper and put new clothes on all at once.

Do you have a clean duplicate set of the dirty jammies that you could offer (yeah, a bit sneaky...) Crumple 'em a bit to make them looked used.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I wonder if he has some sensory issues? I mean if it has been going on a week or two maybe not but if it has been awhile and it really is all day I wonder if clothes on/off is actually painful for him? Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
My DS refuses to get dressed right now because he hates getting cold when we take his dirt clothes off....it's the same thing with baths too. I can usually get him to cooperate with change clothes if I let him chose his own outfit...give it a try.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sensory issues have crossed my mind as well. He was a very collicky unhappy baby. We had a nice lull between about 12 months and 19 months (though he still cried waaay more during those months than his brothers ever have). The tantrums are so intense that I have been wondering what they are really about....

OTH he will sometimes not tantrum if he wants his clothes off - for instance - if he is getting into the bathtub which he likes so I think it might hurt his feelings rather than his body.

This is new....probably 2 or 3 weeks but getting worse and worse (it just started with him wanting to wear his shoes all the time which seemed quirky but fine)

Anymore ideas - I am feeling pretty beaten by it today

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
My son was doing that for a while. It took me a while to figure it out but with him, it seemed to be a control thing. The more he got to participate the better. For example, I would give him a choice...do you want the red shirt or the blue shirt? Then he would dress himself s much as possible...I would ask him to put his arm through, etc. It took longer to change his clothes but it was much more peaceful.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildmonkeys View Post
Sensory issues have crossed my mind as well. He was a very collicky unhappy baby. We had a nice lull between about 12 months and 19 months (though he still cried waaay more during those months than his brothers ever have). The tantrums are so intense that I have been wondering what they are really about....

OTH he will sometimes not tantrum if he wants his clothes off - for instance - if he is getting into the bathtub which he likes so I think it might hurt his feelings rather than his body.
Sounds like my son in some ways, very difficult baby/toddler. I don't know if this will make sense but it may be that he is craving the touch of the water. So if clothing on and off is a deep touch (which he doesn like) and water is a light touch, which he does like he may be able to tolerate clothes off to get in the water. Anyway, if you find it isn't resolving it might be worth looking into more. I can't even express the change in our home since DS started occupational therapy. His issues are not severe, he doesn't even have a dx but it is like night and day. Yeah, he is still 2 and has tantrums but nothing like he was having.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.