Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sons nebulizer doesnt always work. He uses the breathing tube, and does pulmicort twice a day. When he has a cold, he does alb. every 4 hours.
SOmetimes it works fine. Other times, the medicine gets "cloudy" and even though steam is coming out, the level of liquid does not go down. LAst night it did that, I took it apart and soaked it in water and dishwashing liquid for a long time and then did it this morning and it did it again. I am soaking it with vinegar now. I dont know if it is getting plugged up or if my sons breath is kind of spitting in it or what. It does get really nasty with string spit while he is doing it (eewww) Or if it is getting plugged up. But, as I said, steam is coming out.
also, I am wonderng how people clean thiers. I usually rinse it, and maybe use soap once a day. SOmetimes I dont wash it until right before he has to use it, and then I dry it out as best I can with a paper towel. Do you leave it sitting on the counter to dry? Have you found a good place to keep it to soak?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
We were told to clean our ds's with super hot water and that's it. Anything else my leave a film.

I wish I could visualize what you are talking about. My ds's nebbie (as he calls it) has thin tube (where the air travels up) and we attach his mask/medicine disperser to it. We never wask/soak the thin tube for air. And as I said before, we was the rest with hot water.

Is there a picture that I can look at?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
supposedly, what you are using is more effective than a mask. My guy just turned three, so he may be a bit young for a tube. Would the manufacturer be able to tell you how to clean it properly? Could a pulmanary therapist at a local hospital tell you what kind of device is the easiest to maintain and use?

My ds gets pulmicort twice a day too. We are trying to slowly wean him off of it while incorporating homeopathy and dietary changes. We also find Singulair has done wonders for him and he hardly ever needs alb. even when he is sick. My Nuropth/homeopath admits to results with singulair in tandem with other more natural treatments.

PM me some time if you ever want to chat about ashtma.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Have you tried a different nebulizer cup/cover? They do eventually wear out. Ours was doing what you described and when we replaced it all was well. Sometimes you need to try a different brand as well. Our favorite is BD.

Also, I noticed that sometimes when ds would tip the cup too far in one direction it wouldn't work as well.

Keep up the detective work--you'll figure it out :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
First, thanks for the pix, I was assembling ours wrong. Not that I will do it the right way since I was using it as a blow by and plugged the one end.

Second, we got our nebulizer Thursday and the nurse said to wash the cup and mask in hot sopy water then soak for an hour in 1 cup vinegar and 3 cups water in a bowl. I then put the parts on a paper towel to dry.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.