Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first visit to this section of the forums!

DD will be 3 next month and I want to start doing preschool time at home. Maybe 30min to 1hr a day.

Does anyone know of good links that could show what the basic curriculum/objectives are for 3 yr olds? I figure that if I know what most of the kids will be learning, we can cover some of the same things at home. I've taught for years, but only secondary. This is all new territory for me.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I would say just keep learning through play unless you child is really wanting to do some type of sit down work sheets.
We did a theme every week, like zoo, farm, cats, dogs, family and then we would read books, color pictures and do a craft that week all about that subject. we would also try to take a field trip to the zoo, farm etc. Just all fun!

My son just turned 4 on the 3rd of August and we will be starting Calvert in Sept. The reason I have decided to do that is I would like a set activity for the day. It wont be pressure, if he does not want to I wont force him. But, he is very excited about doing "school" because he has alot of cousins and friends and school. He says "I get to do school at home with mum and dad on my school table!"

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got these excellent books from Sams Club adn wal-mart Total Reading and Total Basic Skills. They have EVERYTHING in them and evaluation of where your child should be by the time they are ready for kindergarten. They only cost 10.00 a piece.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Another vote for open ended play at this age (my girls are almost 3 1/2) unless the child is asking for "school". World book has a list of what kids are "supposed" to learn at each grade level. It begins with preschool. http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?curriculum Here's my theory on how to use this "tool". Look at what age your child will be when you start teaching "kindergarten" (for me, this is 6. Our state requires kindergarten at age 5, but from what I hear, it's quite easy to get a one year extension on that age, so I'll do that. Partially because if I were putting my kids in a classroom environment I'd hold them out until they were 6 (my mom held both my brother & I out a year , I started K when I was 6, my brother started 1st grade when he was 7 (the school we were attending when he started school didn't offer K) and I think it was a very wise decision
), partially because I'm "lazy" and figure there's no reason to deal w/ reporting to the state for an extra year if I don't have to), then the year before that is the year to make sure they have a relatively good knowledge of the stuff listed on the preschool list. So . . . basically when they're 5 1/2 or thereabouts I need to look over the preschool list & see if there are areas I need to encourage thier interests in. I know when I looked over the list originally my kids could already do many of the things, other than those that are tied into fine motor skills & such that my kids don't have yet. They'll grow/change a LOT between age 3 & age 5 so I'm certainly not going to worry NOW about the fact that they can't write their letters, they're not developmentally at a place of having the hand-eye control to do that, it's getting there, they're starting more & more to draw "pictures" instead of scribbles, their own idea. Those pictures are starting to occasionally be recognizable. I would expect that before they're 6 they'll be asking me how to draw letters (Ashlyn's already asking when she'll be able to read, so I wouldn't be suprised if, in the next year, she either learns to read herself (as we were walking through a store today one of the girls (I'm SO bad about remembering who says what after the fact LOL) totally randomly (granted, I hadn't been listening as they talked to each other, so may have missed the "context") said "puh, pig . . . Mommy, does pig start w/ P?") or will just figure it out on their own.

So . . . I'd say certainly until they're 4 or 5, let them play, answer their questions, provide resources for things they're interested in, including structured "school" if they show an interest, but otherwise, there's plenty of time for "school" once they're older, if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Read John Holt, Charlotte Mason and Oak Meadows. They were my greatest influesnces. Google them if you don't know who they are. Learn about all other different philosophies of education. Take what is true to you and your family. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Be sure to do lots of fine motor and coordination activities- arts and crafts are good for that, stringing beads, learning to use scissors, to draw circles, to build with blocks, lacing cards, pouring skills, and grouping like items, goign to the park. I think people get too caught up in teaching "school" and forget these much needed pre-skills.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
This page: http://www.nncc.org/Child.Dev/ages.stages.3y.html might give you some ideas--scroll down to "ideas for caregivers."

When they were 3, I read a lot to my kids, took them to the playground, played blocks and pretend. One of my kids really liked arts and crafts and she did a lot of painting, bead stringing, playing with dough. Another child loved dress up and role playing. One liked playing with cars and trains and trucks. We cooked/baked together and they liked to help with things like laundry and washing dishes (and pouring and dumping water!) Puppets were a favorite for a couple of my kids--we'd have long conversations between my puppets and theirs. We built forts out of blankets and pillows and furniture, played in the sandbox...my oldest loved the local children's museum and they all enjoyed the zoo at this age.

Three was a really big time for imaginary play and pretend (in between diaper changes, nursing and naps
)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.