Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Squeaker's developing dry skin (no surprise as I do in the winter)
I'd like to put some lotion on her but when i got out a bottle someone had given me (baby aveeno) I was apauled at the contents. Can someone recomend a good (and not horribly expensive) lotion? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I love aubrey organics baby lotion in general (smells soo good and no bad ingredients!),but for really dry skin on my babes I use sesame oil (not toasted sesame!),I put it on them for 15 minutes then bathe as usual(this is so their skin isn't so oily, the heat from the bathe helps to absorb into the skin). do this 2-3 times a week in the winter and their skin is sooo soft! my dd suffers from severely dry skin in the winter and this works wonders!!!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1964pandora
Terressentials is safer than Aubrey Organics. See the link below from the Environmental Working Group's "Skin Deep" database, that rates the safety of thousands of personal care products, including baby lotion.

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2...=Baby%20Lotion

Susan
well that does not tell us why it is better

its just some companies assessmen
t

·
Registered
397 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1964pandora
Terressentials is safer than Aubrey Organics. See the link below from the Environmental Working Group's "Skin Deep" database, that rates the safety of thousands of personal care products, including baby lotion.

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2...=Baby%20Lotion

Susan
Terressentials Baby Lotion has a score of .5 out of 5. AO Baby Lotion has a score of .6 out of 5. Not much of a difference, except you can go to almost any HFS and get the AO today, vs. waiting over a month for the Terressentials. Both are considered of low concern.

The product of concern in Terressentials? Ethanol. The products of concern in AO? Fragrance, which is clearly listed as coming from almond oil and vanilla. Vitamin B. And PABA. Now, I dont' know why there is PABA in a baby lotion. But I am equally unhappy about ethanol in the Terressentials.

I think the best bet would be to make your own with sweet almond oil, beeswax, shea butter, etc. melted in a double boiler with some lavender EO. You'll get more of a cream than a lotion, but you can guarantee that there are no products that will be of concern to your child.

You really have to compare Terressentials and AO product by product. As a company, Terressentials is ranked slightly higher than AO. But AO makes 3 times the number of products. Also, AO offers natural suncreens and Terressentials doesn't, which skews the results. Even natural sunscreens present some risk.

Kimberly

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
kimbermama-thanks so much for that clarification!!

I love aubrey products! I use their shampoo and face creams as well-They are the only thing that doesn't make my head itch after use and it makes my hair soo soft! I knew they couldn't be bad!! I try to use the best body care products for my family. I'll try to sumplement by making some things myself so I can afford to buy these more costly products...

·
Registered
397 Posts
I get tired of the Aubrey bashing. I read about how they made false claims, etc. and couldn't find anything to back that up. They are the highest ranked company at EWG based on the number of products they make. Terressentials is ranked slightly higher, but makes only 1/3 of the products. They far outshine companies like Jason, Nature's Gate, etc.

I do love the EWG site. I read about Badger Balms there and hadn't paid any attention to them before. Now I use their sleep balm on my boys.

Kimberly

·
Registered
397 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeshaLynn
I'm not sure how well it rates but Weleda Calendula Baby lotion is really nice.
The Weleda Baby Lotion rates a .7 out of 5. The ingredients of concern are unspecified fragrance (Parfum, mixture of natural essential oil), ethanol, and glycerin (not sure why that is of concern).

I think they are trying to say the the "Parfum" is a mixture of natural essential oils, as that's what it says on their website.

Kimberly

·
Registered
371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberMama
The ingredients of concern are unspecified fragrance (Parfum, mixture of natural essential oil), ethanol, and glycerin (not sure why that is of concern).
Kimberly
Glycerin is listed because the production of it may produce adverse health issues for the workers who are manufacturing it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by marasmum
Glycerin is listed because the production of it may produce adverse health issues for the workers who are manufacturing it.
That makes sense. There are so many things we have to consider.

Kimberly

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
About glycerine, it is important to note that there are different types of glycerine, food grade (natural type) vs. synthetic (man made through chemical processes). I believe it's synthetic glycerine (not food grade) that may have problems. So from what I have read, not all glycerine can be made out to be bad.

http://www.sdahq.org/oleo/USPGlycerin.pdf

I am wary of articles that do not make this distinction.

Weleda is safe imo. Feel free to email the company and ask them about glycerine before discounting them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Terressential products are the ONLY one's I will use. When I lived in Maryland, I went into their store regularly. The only reason that they make so few products is that the company is 2 people. I have seen them have as many as 3 additional employees, but all research and development is done my 2 people. All products are hand-measured, hand-mixed, hand-packaged, hand-labeled.

One of the things they have done in the past at a trade show was EAT their products. TE is the ONLY company I know of whose body care products meet the USDA requirements for FOOD labeled organic. They not only worry about which ingredients they use, but how they are extracted. No chemically extracted EOs that you will find in other products. Their cocoa butter smells like white chocolate b/c it has only been filtered for plant debris, not bleached and processed to make it white and w/o smell.

BTW, if you look at their website, the "ethanol" that they use in organic grain alcohol.

Just some info to help you make an educated decision. THe TE priority is informing and educating. Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
You might just consider skipping commercial products if you have concerns about their safety. It's really easy to make a whipped body butter at home, no preservatives are needed and it lasts a long time.

A simple recipe that whips up soft and easy to apply:

60% unrefined shea or cocoa butter (or a mixture of both)
30% coconut oil
10% jojoba oil

the shea doesn't need to be melted, if you do melt it, you could get graininess. Whip the shea at room temp, melt the cocoa butter and then mix the cocoa butter with the coconut and jojoba, then whip the mixture into the shea butter at the highest speed. Extras can be stored in the fridge til you need them.

If you use no shea, keep in mind that the cocoa butter takes a couple of days to reach its final consistency after being melted, so at first the mixture may seem softer than you expected.

When you use it you only need a tiny bit - just rub between your palms and then apply it all over your little one's skin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.