Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a good recipe for making tomato sauce.
I have a ton of tomatoes on my counter that need to get used up.
I was going to make tomato wine with them but feel like it would take too much time.
I'm going to try for a simpler wine for my 1st.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
plenty of olive oil (at least enough to cover bottom of big stock pot)

1 medium to large onion, minced

4 (more or less to taste) cloves of garlic, minced

chopped fresh basil, about 3 tablespoons

red wine if you have it

salt & a bit of sugar to cut the acidity

Chop tomatoes (de-seed if you have time). Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion first, when they're almost translucent add garlic. Add tomatoes before garlic browns. Lower heat, and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 30 min. Add 1/4 cup red wine if you have it. Let that reduce for 15 min. Add basil, salt and pepper to taste, and just a dash of sugar.

If you like hot peppers, add some when you add the wine. Otherwise, just taste it occasionally, depending on how many tomatoes you have you can cook it anywhere from 45 min to 1.5 hrs.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Deseed about 5 pounds of tomatoes. Puree to desired "chunkiness" in a blender. Heat a nice amount of good olive oil, throw in tomatoes (when it's hot), turn down heat and simmer for at least an hour. At the end, throw in lots and lots of pureed garlic (I like mine really garlicky!), herbs (preferably fresh, dried if not), salt and some wine.

I always do the garlic at the end because I like it very strong. I find that when I sautee the garlic in the beginning, it simply frizzles up and gets bitter.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Oh good deal, I can use that recipe too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts