Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In our family its a bit of a race to pick names. If I don't hurry, any girl child I bare in December will be named Josephine Agnes. AGNES. Josephine AGNES!?!? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for funky old school names... but not two of them right next to each other... and NOT when AGNES is after my MIL (God love her)!!!

I like to mix older sounding names with newer sounding names. Like my daughter's name is Cicely (sounds new, but it's very old) Margaret (sounds old).
We have our "boy" name locked down -- Edward Grayson ("Gray" for short). Again, Edward sounds old and Grayson sounds young.

So... that all said, this is what I need help with & hoping you have some ideas!
- Middle name to go with Josephine.
- Doesn't rhyme with nickname Joie (like joey).
- Younger, trendier sounding
- Not WAY popular, but rather unique

Thank you soo much for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Need a middle name for Josephine...

WHY?

Josephine is a beautiful name!
I grew up without a middle name, and I rather liked it.
It meant that people gave full attention to my first name, which people always complimented as beautiful.

Also, when my partner and I formed our own tribe, we chose our own tribal/clan name. His having a middle name really muddied things up for us. He now has four names, a number which institutions don't know how to deal with very well. For me adding a tribal name was easy. I think tribal names are going to be more common in the future.

IMO -- do her a favor and forget about the middle name. Josephine can stand alone very well!

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ohmtaretu that's a great point about middle names!
And, how cool that it worked out so well for you.
I love the idea of forming a tribal name. Personally, I really love middle names. I think they add another dimension to the individual. In my family it's really common to use the first and middle name -- not just when a child is in trouble. Being called Claire Elizabeth still warms my heart, because I can hear my aunts or uncles affectionatly calling me that.
So, a middle name to me, is more than just a possible hassle for instituions... it's a sign of endearment. That's why.

Jenn, I love the flow on those.
And, Goldie, I love Celeste, but my DH always teases me that it rhymes with MOLEST!!! So... it's a no.

Sorry to be so hard! More thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Josephine Allison
Josephine Ava/Ada
Josephine May
Josephine Bree
Josephine Olive
Josephine Lydia
Josephine Miranda

It's hard to pick out a "modern" name without going to things like Charissa or Mandy or things like of that nature...I can see choosing a short middle name with a longer first name, sure is easier on the kid when it's time to learn how to write your name! My daughter has a long first name and short middle name. Just the long first name has been quite the challenge for learning to write her name! It's a good kind though. Little kids with names like "Anna" have a bit easier time of it.

Agnes is kinda cool, but I see what you mean. Josephine is very fun, will you call her Josie or Josephine.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
We considered Josephine for a middle name. And Josie as a first actually. Of course not together!!! :LOL

How about Josephine Leigh? I also liked the prior suggestion of Josephine Bree. But they both have the "rhyme with Joie" problem...

I think things like Josephine Olivia sound very pretty but are tending to get a bit long. I like one long and one short (first and middle - either order). The more that I look at/say that, the better it gets. Josephine Olivia. Very nice. TONS of great nickname options!

Josephine Elena?
Josephine Kendall?
Josephine Mariah/Mikaela/Marissa?
Josephine Paige?
Josephine Payton?
Josephine Sierra?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Josephine Claire was/is my name for a girl.
We would have called her joey, or jacey-like the 2 letters

Josephine after my wonderful Nana who passed. and Claire because I like how they sounded together.

but I had ds, Cory Rusty Macdonald Wesly- last name= poor boy I couldn't decide :LOL

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I of course
Claire as a middle name (though of course, we have a Katherine Clare and just
it to pieces!)! And Josephine as a first name (it's still in the running for us as well... K was almost a Josephine -- Josie -- but just didn't work!).

I do like a shorter middle name with the longer first name... well, in theory at least.

I like Josephine Louise. But, that's not quite 'hip' ... but, isn't Joie Lou cute?!?

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oooh! You guys are the BEST!!! Ok... I LOVE Josephine Claire. My middle name is my mother's first name... so there is a bit of a tradition there. But, it feels a little egocentric to me. Maybe it's because my mom is an egomaniac at times!

These ideas are just fabulous guys! Thank you soooo much!!!
Feel free to post more if you like. I love reading the combinations and saying them outloud! Oooh! Thank you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.