Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took my son in for an appointment to our pediatrician. I don't love her, but she's nice enough, competent, and doesn't give us a problem about delayed or selective vax. However, this was the 3rd visit in a year that we've had to wait close to an hour for our appointment! There was one visit where I actually left-- I couldn't wait any longer.

Today, I arrived at the the office about a minute after the doctor. (I saw her walk in ahead of me)- I was the first appt. She spent about 20 minutes doing paperwork, then saw another patient, and then saw my son. I understand that the other patient may have had a more pressing matter (my son has a yeast infection in the diaper area). I understand that it's not realistic to be seen on time by a doctor--however, I think that these visits has been kind of beyond reasonable waiting times, especially since I often leave work in the middle of the day to come.

So anyway, I'm looking for a rec. of a ped or family practicioner in Baltimore. It seems that this "tribe" only goes to page 12, so I can't access any posts older than august.

I live in the pikesville/mt washington area. As you've read, I'd prefer a practice that's realtively prompt- meaning, I can't be waiting 45 minutes to an hour on a regular basis. Ideally a practice with a few drs/npracs so getting an appt. isn't too difficult. Of course, I need s/o who is laid back about vaxing and antibiotics.
thank you!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dr Kenneth Tellerman - at the rotunda. It's only him and one nurse (plus office staff) but I've never had to wait if i was on time. well organized. and relaxed on vaxing (that's why we chose him.)

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'll second the Tellerman recommendation. In the seven years we've been going there we've only had to wait a handful of times and it was never to the point of an hour, I don't think.

Also,
. Hope you guys are well! That baby is a year old now, isn't he?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree on Tellerman as well! He's not the most 'social' person in the world... meaning that he is a little on the dry side. However, he is very nice and his office is run VERY well! I've never had to wait for our appointment more than 10 minutes. He is fine with delayed or no vax. Most importantly, he is a great doctor.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VTnurse View Post
I agree on Tellerman as well! He's not the most 'social' person in the world... meaning that he is a little on the dry side. However, he is very nice and his office is run VERY well! I've never had to wait for our appointment more than 10 minutes. He is fine with delayed or no vax. Most importantly, he is a great doctor.
I agree with this! And I'm glad to see someone else say he's dry!! I thought it was just us! We switched from our (yucky) previous ped without interviewing him, and we were a little put off at our first appt, but after seeing him a few times, I'm happy with him.

One thing I'd like to mention...Our ds is intact, and Dr T has retracted him once (no harm was done, but it's an unnecessary 'procedure'). Since then, I've told him before each diaper-area check to NOT retract him, and he has avoided doing it. Just want to mention that for anyone who may need to know. I've considered giving him some medical literature on it (as I was advised on the MDC circumcision board), but haven't.

·
Registered
641 Posts
FWIU, Tellerman is more on the cautious side....how does that translate to you posters in terms of medical advice? I am happy with Pulcinella letting me choose how to schedule vax, but I don't believe he is taking new patients. Can't hurt to try -- 581-2345. He's more laid back and pro-BF, etc.

·
Registered
318 Posts
We do preventative medicine at home and go to him when we need more allopathic advice. I feel like he takes a wait-and-see approach, esp. with antibitoics, etc. And we have always done delayed vax (my four-year-old is just getting vaxed now) and Tellerman has been fine with it. "Dry" though sounds about right!

·
Registered
999 Posts
We see Dr. Tellerman, though we've only been for well-baby visits twice. We like him alright. He's dry, but cares about kids. He discharged DS from the hospital early after his birth, against the recommendation of the staff pediatrician, which was good. The one time we've had to call for a somewhat urgent situation one of the other docs was on call. He turned out to be overly cautious and sent us to the ER, which I was NOT happy about afterward. He apparently thought it would make me feel better to wait for hours in a room with a bunch of other sick babies.

DS is intact, and Dr. T has never retracted him, or paid much attention at all to his penis. But like I said, we've only seen him a few times.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
We are new parents and I chose Dr. T after the recommendation of someone on this board. He can be dry for sure but I really like him as a ped. After Evangeline was born, he came to the hospital twice and called us every day for a week to see how she was doing.

The hospital pediatrician and nurses told us a few things that worried us and Dr. T. totally put our minds at ease and talked to us about why he disagreed with what they had said.

PLUS, no one has mentioned Harriet (his nurse) yet. She is so great. Her personality more than balances out Dr. Tellerman's--she's a hoot and loves what she does.

We've shown up early to every appt and they've taken us early each time too b/c they have been running ahead

·
Registered
117 Posts
You could try Dr. Tellerman at the Rotunda. I have taken all three of my children there for almost 2 years. I had a pediatrician at St. Joe's who was decent, but the wait times were terrible and she was giving me a hard time about not putting tubes in my son's ears after only two infections.

Dr. Tellerman is great and the wait times are not terrible. I have twins so it is mandatory that the wait times be relatively short or all hell breaks out in the exam room.

Also, I don't vax on schedule to say the least and I have never felt overly pressured or forced into anything. He is for vaccinating, but if I say, 'not yet' -- we are still okay.

The only bad thing is that it seems my kids ALWAYS get sick when he is on vacation. Not really his fault, but we have had to go to Nighttime pediatrics on occassion.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyLamb View Post
I understand that it's not realistic to be seen on time by a doctor--however, I think that these visits has been kind of beyond reasonable waiting times, especially since I often leave work in the middle of the day to come.
I just wanted to respond to this. It is absolutely realistic to be seen on time, particularly if you are the first appointment of the day. If that ped has paperwork to do, she needs to get her butt into the office earlier and do it, not cut into the time she has scheduled with you. A doctor's office that consistently runs late does not manage its time well. To me, that doesn't tell me good things about the kind of care I will get with them. They either need to schedule more time for patients (and not cram as many in as possible), and/or not do work that should be done when patients are not scheduled. I've worked for two eye doctors and they both rarely ran late because they cared about their patient's time and about spending quality time with the patient in the office.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.