Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is 22 months and a pistol. She won't give up night nursing. In general, she won't go to sleep easily unless she has skipped her nap. If she doesn't get to nurse because I've set a limitation, she will carry on for at least two hours. This often happens in the middle of the night when I will let her nurse for a little bit and I tell her she needs to stop and "Ba Ba needs sleep." She will roll over and then five minutes later start insisting again. Attempts to night wean her have been entire failures. We have gradually worked up to night weaning three times and each has failed because of teething.

She has to have her way and is unrelenting. No amount of cuddling, hugging, singing, or rocking will assuage her if she wants to nurse.

I am desperate for sleep and can't sleep when she nurses at night. She has become rather violent about nursing, especially this past week because she had a cold. A month before, she was terribly violent from teething for three weeks. My nipples are very sore. If I could sleep through the night nursing, I would be more than happy to continue it, but I can't.

After weeks of sleeping maybe five hours of interrupted sleep at night, I am beyond exhausted. I feel like I am not being a very good mother because I am a walking zombie. Even napping with her hasn't replenished my sleep deficit.

One great solution would be for DH to take over night duties. He is trying to save his company right now and works crazy hours, so is rarely around. He comes back today from a ten day business trip. He is entirely stressed from work, but I am almost to the point of telling him that he has to take over night duties with DD or he will have to put me in a padded room.

I hope this isn't coming off as one big whine. Can anyone offer advice or a hug?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sleep deprivation gets to me, too. My 3yo DD doesn't night nurse, but will nurse before sleep. My DH is working all the time, and has not helped with our evening routines. The only advice I can offer is do what you can to take care of yourself. It is good that you are trying to nap during the day.

I do try to really tire out DD (like make her play running games inside). I had to do that with DS when he was younger or we would be up all night long.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow, I hear ya, mama!

My oldest son was like this. I got pg when he was 13 months, and that persistent little fella beat me up at night with the very physical nursing until he was 18 months (1/2way through my pg), at which point I asked my husband to take over nighttime duty so I could grow our second son! He was such a fan of nursing that he actually picked it up again when my younger son was 4 months! He finally weaned himself about 7-8 months ago.

Now, I'm in the same position again with a night waking 20 month old who flips and kicks and cries until he gets his "milk, Ma!". Since my husband is unavailable at night (he's still stuck with our 3 1/2 year old who can't sleep alone), I'm not sure what to do because night weaning has not been successful here, either. That's the reason I'm reading the MDC bf forum today...and I couldn't read this post without answering.

One thing I'm doing to take care of myself is to go to bed when my son does. He starts the night in the crib and it's the only way I can get 2 hours of solid sleep before he wakes up calling for "Mooooommmmy, milk, Ma!"
It stinks because I do love catching up on things at day's end, but the lack of consistent sleep was wearing on me. Oh, and sometimes my little guy will sleep better if I sit up in the recliner and nurse him back down to sleep. Stinks for me, but sometimes settles him enough so we can lie down and get some sleep. Unless he's teething. Or has a cold. Or growing. Or learning a bunch of new words. Let's face it, toddlers have a lot going on and have a lot of restless nights.

I wish I had advice, really I do. As hard as it is, it's a bit of comfort to remind myself that little ones eventually stop nursing. It's so hard to take care of yourself when you have an avid night nurser. Any opportunity you have to get rest, take it. It also seems to be my experience that, just when I think I can't take something for one flippin' minute more, it gets better. When the going gets rough with parenting, I seriously remind myself to check back with things in a month. Things might not be great, but it's likely to be a new set of issues.
Hang in there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.