Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow, I hear ya, mama!

My oldest son was like this. I got pg when he was 13 months, and that persistent little fella beat me up at night with the very physical nursing until he was 18 months (1/2way through my pg), at which point I asked my husband to take over nighttime duty so I could grow our second son! He was such a fan of nursing that he actually picked it up again when my younger son was 4 months! He finally weaned himself about 7-8 months ago.

Now, I'm in the same position again with a night waking 20 month old who flips and kicks and cries until he gets his "milk, Ma!". Since my husband is unavailable at night (he's still stuck with our 3 1/2 year old who can't sleep alone), I'm not sure what to do because night weaning has not been successful here, either. That's the reason I'm reading the MDC bf forum today...and I couldn't read this post without answering.

One thing I'm doing to take care of myself is to go to bed when my son does. He starts the night in the crib and it's the only way I can get 2 hours of solid sleep before he wakes up calling for "Mooooommmmy, milk, Ma!"
It stinks because I do love catching up on things at day's end, but the lack of consistent sleep was wearing on me. Oh, and sometimes my little guy will sleep better if I sit up in the recliner and nurse him back down to sleep. Stinks for me, but sometimes settles him enough so we can lie down and get some sleep. Unless he's teething. Or has a cold. Or growing. Or learning a bunch of new words. Let's face it, toddlers have a lot going on and have a lot of restless nights.

I wish I had advice, really I do. As hard as it is, it's a bit of comfort to remind myself that little ones eventually stop nursing. It's so hard to take care of yourself when you have an avid night nurser. Any opportunity you have to get rest, take it. It also seems to be my experience that, just when I think I can't take something for one flippin' minute more, it gets better. When the going gets rough with parenting, I seriously remind myself to check back with things in a month. Things might not be great, but it's likely to be a new set of issues.
Hang in there.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.