Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting work tomorrow cleaning apartments at a complex to get them ready for new tenants.

It should take me 1.5 -2 hours to do an apartment so I don't have time to leave baking soda paste on overnight.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to clean (sometimes very nasty) ovens naturally?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Try OxiClean - it's stronger than baking soda and still eco-friendly. You will have to let it sit on major stains at least 10-15 minutes, but it works well. You can find 14 pound boxes at Costco. It has a little bit of surfactants in it so it works some like a standard detergent, but doesn't have any bleach or chlorine in it. OxiClean is made of sodium percarbonate, sodium carbonate (washing soda), and a few nonionic detergents (not bad for the environment or yourself).

You can clean grout and tubs, clean apartment-grade cabinetry (usually with the thermafoil finishes and possibly veneer, I'm not so sure about the paper or wood-based ones), toilets, floors, carpet stains, stainless steel sinks, countertops, and other things. It has germ and mold-killing abilities and I would use this as much as possible over other natural things. As a current apartment resident, there's a certain standard of cleanliness and sanitation I expect when I move in. Even though I personally use mostly natural things in my apartment, when I first move in, it would be great to know everything is SPANKING clean and uber-sanitized.

Use gloves when using this product. Check the OxiClean website for application instructions. You can use it as a paste or solution.

As for wooden surfaces or painted surfaces - you can create a bottle of vinegar, olive oil, and orange essential oil in it for a wood/leather/painted surface polish. You can purchase one or two bottles of the orange essential oil and it will be enough for several applications of the wood-polish.

You can use full strength vinegar to wipe down mirrors and clean vinyl flooring too.

For recipes, check this link out:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/house/house.html

From site - tweaked to add orange oil (for antibacterial and scent purposes) and less water.

Woodwork/Wood Cabinet Cleanser
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons water
4 tablespoons white vinegar
Capful of orange essential oil

Combine all ingredients in a 2-quart bottle, cap, and shake to mix. Dampen a cloth with the solution and wipe cabinets or woodwork. Dry with a clean cloth. Shake the bottle frequently while using to keep the oil dispersed in the water.

Increase proportions for your needs. It will last a long time.

1 part olive oil, 1 part water, 2 parts white vinegar, 3 capfuls of orange essential oil per spray bottle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts