Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to do a search as I'm sure this has been brought up a million times, but was hoping for more advice. also looked through the recommendations, but there are SOOO many slings listed I can't keep them straight.

I'm having a second dc at the end of November, and I'm starting to look at sling choices. With dd (3.5) I used the OTSBH and some other sling, but never really got the hang of it and mostly just carried her around in my arms. This time around, I'm going to be a lot more busy and really want to find a sling that would work.

Suggestions? So far, I'm leaning towards pouches? I didn't like dealing with rings on the OTSBH.. Zippers / velcro type stuff seems easier, but is it really safe? Also, I"m in FL, so even though it'll be November / December, it's pretty warm (which I think would take fleece pouches out of the running? Those look really nice though)

Also, would I have to get different slings for the newborn stage and for the pre-toddler stage (whatever that is called
- pregnancy brain )

TIA!!!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, Tupelo Honey!

Mama Jude, so you don't think that fleece slings would be too hot? I'll definitely have to check into SolarVeil.

Should I then look for two different slings - the newborn and then another as it gets closer to the summer when the babe is a few months old? Would I also then need a young toddler sling?

not sure if there are any great slings that would take me through varioius stages or if it's better to get separate slings for different ages (I am a pretty frugal person and not a big fan of shopping, so the idea of buying a bunch of slings isn't exciting for me - unless it makes sense / for comfort / ease)

thanks a bunch!!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Really, most slings will sork great the whole time. Even a non-adjustable pouch will, because as the baby gets older and bigger, he startes to sit up and take up less space in the sling. It doesn't seem like it should work, but it does! I used just my MW through two babies until the second one was close to a year, (and could have still but I started trying new things), including hip carrying them as toddlers.

The reason a lot of people like having more than one is the same reason most of us have more than one shirt or several different kinds of shoes. Different things work better for different situations. It's not really about the age/size of the baby, unless you just feel you need a 2-shouldered carry as the babe gets really heavy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tupelo Honey
Really, most slings will sork great the whole time. Even a non-adjustable pouch will, because as the baby gets older and bigger, he startes to sit up and take up less space in the sling. It doesn't seem like it should work, but it does! I used just my MW through two babies until the second one was close to a year, (and could have still but I started trying new things), including hip carrying them as toddlers.

The reason a lot of people like having more than one is the same reason most of us have more than one shirt or several different kinds of shoes. Different things work better for different situations. It's not really about the age/size of the baby, unless you just feel you need a 2-shouldered carry as the babe gets really heavy.
ITA!!! Most people think you need an adjustable sling, but a fitted pouch is fitted to *you*, not the baby. I wear the same size sling with my 2 year old as I did when he was a baby. Adjustables are good for sharing or if you plan to lose a lot of baby weight. :LOL

Fleece is great for our winter, but way too hot for our summer. Being frugal, a cotton pouch would work well for summer and winter here. If you get a reversible one, you can have even more bang for your buck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts