Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I am sure you could find some free ones, but I love the plain cardigan #981 from Knitting Pure & Simple. It goes down to a size 2-4, which means the pattern will last for many years to come. Plus, these patterns are so nice to follow and easy to use.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yarn Girls Guide to Kids Knits has quite a few cardigans in it. I don't know if there is a raglan one, since I had to take my copy back to the library.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I know a lot of people don't like the debbie bliss patterns, but there's a nice simple raglan cardigan in Baby Knits for Beginners - it was my first ever sweater and it went really well. It's probably the nicest FO I've knitted, to this day.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
You could also check your library to see if they have Top Down for Toddlers. I am working on The Basic Pullover and it is a very easy knit.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I love the Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns by Ann Budd. I believe the sizing starts in a 2T, and I've knit the raglan cardigan pattern of it in that size for my DD. What's great about it is that you can use any size of needles and any yarn, because the patterns are all given for multiple gauges. I love that flexibility, because with other pattern books I always get trapped in not having the $ for the yarn they want you to use

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tempestjewel
I love the Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns by Ann Budd. (
Ooh, so glad to hear this. I saw this at Interweave's Hurt Book Sale, which ends today btw, and it was sold out, but I thought WOW what a great resource to have around. I have a gift cert. to Border's so I am looking for books that would be great additions, of course they have to be knitting books.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I love the Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns however, I prefer to knit items with a few pieces as possible. For a raglan that means one. I hate working so hard on a sweater and then having to sit for hours to seam and weave in ends.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
exactly! I love a one peice raglan!

I just got a library card so i never even thought to go look at the library! ha! I'll write these names down. thanks!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I recommend my new favorite knitting book, Knitting from the Top by Barbara Walker, especially if you have any knitting experience. She gives directions for cardigans, raglan sweaters, and many other kinds of sweaters and hats too. Her patterns are based on simple measurements you take of your victim, um, recipient, and whatever gauge/yarn weight you wish to use. It involves a little bit of math but not very much. So for the price of one book (about $20) you can knit just about any kind of sweater yo ucould ever want, in whatever stitch pattern or size or style you can think of. I just designed my own baby cardigan and it turned out great and fit really well. It was very liberating to not follow paint-by-number directions (not that there's anything wrong with that, I just felt ready to try designing something myself.)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes I was thinking this, I LOVE to knit freehand and I ahve knit raglan sweaters before so I thought I might just swatch and go.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I bet you'd LOVE the Barbara Walker book then. She does tend to be a little wordy though.
I also recommend Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmermann. Her thing is knitting from the bottom up, which I think makes fitting a sweater a real pain. Her explanations of some knitting techniques helpedl me understand a few things the Walker book didn't cover as well, like garter stitch borders.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts