Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's already a thread for nursing mamas but I have a really big question. Went to see my PCP today (not my midwife). She stated that I would need to wean because as thin as I am my body will not be able to support nursing and a pregnancy. I know other women nurse through pregnancy and then tandem so....I guess my question is - is body size really am issue? I am thin but healthy - not angular or skinny or anything. And I have already gained 3-4 pounds. I have always trusted this dr. in the past so I don't feel like I can completely ignore her medical advice - though it made me angry and I'm inclined to.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
<p>Sounds like typical breastfeeding ignorance to me. No, weight has nothing to do with it unless you're underweight and not getting enough calories. As long as you add an extra calorie load for the nursling, you should be fine.</p>

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
<p>If that were true, and your body WASN'T able to sustain a milk supply and a healthy pregnancy, it would stop producing milk long before the baby would be compromised. Thats not to say that if your milk dries up its BECAUSE you aren't eating well enough to support both, it can also be hormonal. </p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts