Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we are moving in about 6 weeks from the apartment that we brought ds home to after his birth. (*sniff*) We *have* to move. To say we've outgrown this place is a gigantic understatement. We've signed a new lease and paid the deposit. We are moving and I've been thinking a lot about how Brett will handle the move.

This past week and was our vacation and we spent 3 days out of town. By the end of night 2 ds was asking "Go home?" He didn't seem distressed but was asking. I felt bad for him. I kept reassuring him we'd go home soon after we did X, X and X. By the 3rd day he asked several times. The last few times with a lot more concern. When we finally got into town and on our road, his whole face lit up and he was SO happy. "Go home! We go home!" It broke my heart.

I know, I'm a sap but I feel so bad about moving him from his home that he knows and loves. So I need help making the transition smooth for him. What do you think of this?

I've decided to obviously let him watch the packing process. Then when the van is packed, I want to have a few of his toys inside and have him help me box those up last. Then walk through the apt, seeing it totally empty and just keep explaining that we will take our stuff to a new home. Then we'll have him watch and walk with us as we take the boxes that he packed to the car and so he knows it's going with us.

I'm already talking to him a lot about it but I don't think he understands the concept and I feel really guilty.
Any advice would really be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
We moved three times in ds's short life -- once when he was six months old, then again when he was almost two, then again last spring when he was two and a half. He is a sensitive boy and I dreaded it too but I gotta tell you, it was no big deal at all. I anticipated at least some tears and drama during the packing, the big day, and/or after we'd moved in, but it was never a problem. He found the whole thing to be an adventure! We talked about it some, but he never seemed to pay much attention. I think the nice thing is that, of course, we still had all of our "stuff," and he was still sleeping in the same place (our big bed) so there was that familiarity there.

BTW, he's been much more unsettled the few times we've traveled and slept in an entirely new place (a hotel room, the in-laws, etc.).

My advice is to try not to sweat it too much. Good luck with the move!

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I move a lot- Julian's lived in 5 apartments so far in 2.5 years. The first 2 were with his dad, the past 3 have been us and my partner, and the last one was with a newly separated friend and her 2 yr. old, who didn't want to live alone quite yet. We moved into our current place at the beginning of April, so he was 26 mos. at the time. During the back and forth he called our old apartment "our old house" and this one "our new yellow house". He loves the new place, he got his own room here (although he still sleeps with us) and he was excited about moving. He wasn't vocal during the last move, which was in November (he was 21 mos.) but it didn't seem to faze him either. The move before that was in May (15 mos.) and before that, October '03 (8 mos). We plan to stay at this place for a long time- it's a 2-story 3BR, 1.5 BA with a washer and dryer, dishwasher, fenced in yard, brand new carpet, etc. and the rent's only $600 a month! He calls it home and he calls his dad's "papa's house".
He probably understands more than you think, it's not a difficult concept for a toddler. When my friend and her son moved out of her + her husbands house into the apartment we got together, he took to it right away also. It was really exciting for the boys to live together, as they're best buds. I think having something really exciting about the new place makes it easy- at our last place, we had Julian's friend, and here, he got his own room. Maybe getting something special for the new house would work? A cool new toy that would take up too much space at your current apartment? A baby pool, if you're able to do that? Maybe there's a cool playground nearby that he'll be really into?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.