Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ladies,

Been a memeber here for quite some time. I don't really post, but I do read very often. I usually come to learn and don't have much advice of my own to add.

So here I am with ds#2, Caleb Parker, 12 weeks old tomorrow. He is SO awesome. I am loving life right now with my boys (Noah will be 4 on Oct 14th)! I knew that I wanted to sling Caleb (never did for Noah) right away, but was not able to get my hands on a sling until he was about 9 weeks old. I originally bought the New Native in size M, but it was way too tight. He screamed like crazy when I put him in it. I could tell he was really uncomfy. I tried the cradle, kangaroo and snuggle. I ended up returning the NN, size M for a NN size L. Well, wouldn't ya know it...way too big, UGH! And, he still screamed!

Thinking that maybe I needed an adjustable to get a custom fit, I returned the NN and got a Maya. Well, he STILL screams. Could it be that I have the ONLY child in the world who doesn't love to be in the sling?? Should I keep trying or forget it? Did I start too late?

Caleb is an extremely happy baby otherwise. Usually full of smiles and never needs to cry (momma's always there!). I was really really really (OK, bet you get it, lol) hoping to sling. There are so many benefits and I was really looking forward to nursing in the sling too.

What has your experience been. Did the babies need a bit of time to adjust to the sling or was it pretty much comfy cozy from the start?

TIA!

Tammy,
mom to Noah Keegan (10/14/99) and Caleb Parker (7/17/03)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a similar experience with my dd and the sling, though now she is 9 mo and loves it. I tried several times at 4-5 weeks then again around 12 weeks, I think. Every time she would squirm and screem and obviously not like it. I then pulled it out again once she could sit up and then she loved it. I still don't know if it was that she wanted to see to world, or if she was just uncomfortable in those positions or what.

I would just come back to trying it periodically, and also be aware even when Caleb is more open to it, it will take some adjusting time before the two of you figure out just how you like it. It definatly took some practice before I felt confident about getting dd comfy and cozy pretty quickly.

I have never really nursed in the sling so I can't help you out there, hopefully some other more experienced mamas will chime in!

Good luck to both of you!!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I didn't start using a sling with ds until he was about 4 or 5 mos old. He just wasn't keen on being in it in the cradle hold so I used a bjorn. I have an OTSBH and he was very happy in it once I started using the tummy to tummy hold and now that he's bigger the hip hold. I would encourage you to keep trying. And try it when you're both relaxed and after he's eaten. As soon as you get him in it start moving and keep moving, that often seems to soothe them. HTH

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Well this could totally not be the same situation, but my ds would scream and wail if I tried to lay him down in the sling. If I put him on my chest, chest to chest like you would if you were laying down with him on top of you, and snug him in really good (with the maya) he likes that, and now will let me lie him down. He also screamed like mad if I tried and he was remotely hungry. I know its not a ton of help, but its the little bit that I figured out, and hey, maybe it'll help a bit. Good luck with your little one!

·
Registered
646 Posts
It took a bit before my DD became used to our sling. Now she's at her best when in it. It just takes a lot of patience, and a lot of practice. You might try going to www.mayawrap.com to watch the videos on how to sling (although keep in mind that you'll need to adjust slightly to compensate for both your comfort and Caleb's).

Rachel started out in her sling at about 8 weeks, and now she's 4 months...and only in the last two weeks have we come to a comfortable compromise on nursing while in the sling. Now she loves it! I even walked around Walmart today for 1/2 hour nursing her (and I think that only a handful of people caught on to what I was doing
So much for furthering the cause.

Don't worry, you'll both figure it out!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
ITA, practice, practice, practice!! Ella was pretty resistant at first too, but i was determined to make her like it
First I would wear the sling loose and nurse her till she fell asleep, then tighten it up a bit and hold her tummy to tummy (all while standing, swaying) and when she was good and asleep I would tighten it all the way and go about my business. It took a while of this before i could put her in without being asleep and her not mind.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
i used new natives w/ both my daughters (actually, dd2 is in one of them right now!). both were 'slung' within a few days of birth.

we had a size L with dd1 (also an ella!), and once i lost some pg weight and my breast milk evened out, it was too big...so we got an M too. dh still uses the size L. actually, we have two Ls, one we have used as a loaner.

with dd1, she didn't like to be placed in the sling unless i started moving right away. if i started walking or swaying, she was fine...but if i just stood there, she would fuss. dd2 loves being in the sling even more than her big sister did and doesn't fuss at all when i put her in.

we also have an OTSBH. i love it, but prefer pouch style for wee babes, the padded style once they get to be 20+ lbs. i received a kangaroo korner fleece pouch as a shower gift, but am still waiting for it since we had to switch sizes.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Definately keep trying, and definately move with the baby in the sling. It's beset to try when the baby is in a good mood - full, well rested, etc. It may take you some time to get used to, but it will definately be worth it in the end!

T Where in NE PA are you? I grew up in Palmerton (Carbon County)...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the advice on slinging! I really appreciate each and every one of you ladies taking the time to respond!

I WILL keep trying! I want to do this so very much. I friend of mine has loaned me her Kangaroo Korner Fleece Pouch and so far he seems to like it tummy to tummy with his legs hanging out. The only problem with this is the bottom "rail" seems SO tight across his little legs. It doesn't seem to bother him, but it seems to bother me, lol. Am I doing it wrong or is this how it's supposed to be?

Also, to Kristin, I live in a small town called Reeders. It's near Tannersville and Stroudsburg. Are you close?

TIA!

Tammy,
mom to Noah Keegan (10/14/99) and Caleb Parker (7/17/03)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Mammatonoah I also found that the lower rail on the KK fleece pouch was way too tight--it made ds's legs turn purple
I emailed tanya at kk about it and she said she hadn't had any moms write to her with that problem before tho she would be happy to exchange it. We didn't end up doing that so it's just sitting around gathering dust. She said to make sure that the baby's bum was deeply in the pocket and that the rails were right behind baby's knees. I really wish the fleece pouch worked for us, it looked so cozy particularly in the cooler weather. I guess I'm still hoping it will work but I'm also thinking of getting a newnative instead. For now we're continuing with the OTSBH.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.