Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having headaches constantly for a few weeks. I am 21 weeks along. I have them everyday and i take tylenol for them (please don't fuss at me for taking pain meds because i can't function with a headache). With the headaches is a bit of nausea and light headedness. I also have hot flashes with them and without them. I am wondering if i should tell my midwife about it. I had them with my son also and nothing was wrong. I am at slight risk for pre-e because after both my kids were born my BP shot sky high and i was on meds between each pregnancy. It hasn't been high at all during this pregnancy or either of my others. I am just scared that if i do say anything that she will want me to have a bunch of tests or not see me anymore. We simply can't afford tests unless it is absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I understand! I have had a constant headache since I was 11 (7 years now) and they are just now lessening up. Mine were so bad that I had to take a combination of drugs to feel any relief.

Be careful on the Tylenol thing. While it's good that it helps you can wuickly become intolerant to it. I have not been able to take anything over the counter for years because I would have to start taking a lot more of the dose required to feel anything. That freaked me out so I would switch to a new one. Just be careful to follow the directions on the back.

As for help, try getting dark purple washcloths or material and soaking them in hot water and placing them over your eyes. Purple is great for relieving headaches cause it breaks down tension in the head (I'm not sure how....a doctor told me to try it before he looked into other ways. It helped for awhile, especially if I was able to catch it before the headache really got bad). Also, you can make "dream pillows" or "spell pillows" which are just pillows with different herbs in them often with a note inside saying your desire (I want to be rich for example
). Try making one and filling it with Chamomille, Lavender, and a mild mint. If you really want to go the whole route throw in a note saying you would like these to stop. Sew it up and keep it near your bed or on your bed so at night when you sleep the aromas from the herbs are doing their work. If you would like I can look up some more herbs to find out which ones work best for headaches.

If all that doesn't work try acupuncture or go to the chiropractor. It could be something very simple like a vertabrae out of place or a slight movement on a neck bone. Whatever it isI hope you find relief soon!

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Are you drinking enough fluids?

I had horrible headaches with each of my pregnancies and it wasnt until my last (when I finally got a midwife) that she suggested I increase my water intake. And when I started drinking an extra 3 litres of water a day, my headaches were gone.
I could swear I read some where that something like 90% of headaches are from dehydration.....but I cant remember for sure.

I would definitly tell your midwife. And increase your fluid intake.

Take care,
and drink up!

Laura

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I had frequent migraines at the beginning of my 5th pregnancy - they went away completely once I cut refined sugar out of my diet. May be something to try, especially since it's healthier anyway. (And if you do, I'll be right there with you - that's our family New Year's resolution!)

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Definately tell your mw.

We would tell our clients to increase fluids, increase protein, divide foods up into small, frequent meals, and pay attention to posture (pelvic rocks, stretching, and a bellybelt if needed). We would want to test your urine for protein and check your blood pressure. If everything seemed okay, we would probably recommend you see a chiropractor, massage therapist, or an accupuncturist (depends upon you). If we can pinpoint some cause (like posture or a pinched nerve) we might also send you to a physical therapist for evaluation and treatment.

Hope these suggestions help!

Lori

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the great advice ladies. I will definately try the purple cool rag over my eyes. Purple is my FAV color also

The dehydration makes sence to me also. I know i don't drink enough and my midwife had been on me hard to drink more. I already drink till i can't stand to drink anymore just about it. LOL. I know i don't drink anywhere near what is considered a good ammount though.

I would absolutely love to be able to go to a chiropractor. Even if it didn't help the headaches it would surely help my hip and back pain. We just can't afford it right now so i will have to suffer.

Refined sugar...such as regular sugar i buy at the store? I am not sure what this means. I am totally new to natural things and don't even have a working knowledge of what everything is. These aren't migranes though. I have those on occasion also. This is more like a tention or lack of eating headache...but i eat plenty. Could be tention but everyday all day?

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Well, to me, the nausea/flashes/light-headedness says migraine...I got a lot of migraines when I was pregnant with my ds, and the only thing I could do was sleep them off. Tylenol did NOTHING.

I would definitely talk to your midwives - they need to know. They can figure out whether something serious is going on, and also figure out whether there are other safe meds for you to try. Tylenol can cause rebound headaches as a PP said - it might be worth trying to go without Tylenol for several days to see if you're rebounding.

Also, are you taking any dietary supplements? For example, if you're taking calcium (which is a good idea), you should make sure you take it in a 2:1 ratio of calcium to magnesium. I.e., for every 1000 mg of calcium, you need 500 mg of magnesium. An imbalance of too much calcium/not enough magnesium can trigger headaches. Or if you eat a lot of dairy products and other foods with calcium, a magnesium supplement is good to balance things out (besides, your body can't use all the calcium without magnesium anyway).

I ate Tums for heartburn like a madwoman during my last pregnancy, and a lot of dairy - but I didn't know about the magnesium connection then. This pregnancy (I'm 32 weeks) I've had maybe 1 or 2 migraines - I attribute it to my magnesium being in much better balance.

HTH!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.