Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I recently decided to leave the conservative clinic and hopital that we had been going to and have decided on a homebirth. This is my second pregnancy and I have been so excited about my midwife and the thought of having a homebirth. At my last clinic app. I was 28 weeks and was tested for Group B Strep. It came back positive. I talked to my midwife about it and was told she would test me at 36 weeks. The problem- she said if I test positive at 36 weeks, she can still be my midwife but I will have to have a hospital birth because she can't give me an IV at home
So now I sit here, knowing I have another 6 weeks before I will find out if I can have a homebirth. My question to anyone that can help, any ideas on kicking this so my next test will be negative? For the safety of my baby I will go to hospital but I would love the chance to have a homebirth!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,527 Posts
There are alot of natural treatments you can do towards the end of pregnancy that will help clear up GBS colonization. In fact, many midwives are using Hibiclens washes during labor to prevent the passage of GBS during birth.

Here is some great information:

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbs.html

There have been a couple recent studies to show that IV antibiotics in labor may not be as effective as once thought. How comfortable would you be turning down the last screen and signing a consent around it and still birthing at home? Would your mw be into this?

There's still a chance that you could be negative at term.
Perhaps doing alternative treatments the last month of your pregnancy would improve this - as well as waiting until you have at least a week of treatment before testing again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,854 Posts
And, if she can't, why not try another treatment? There is a lot of information on alternative GBS treatments, including doing a vaginal wash with an antibacterial (can't remember the name of it, but there was a study in Europe that had good results with the wash in place of IV antibiotics). I don't have the references with me, but will update later.

I was GBS positive with both pregnancies. First one was a homebirth with a CNM. She gave me IV antibiotics. With the second, I had a non-CNM midwife. She would have done antibiotics if I wanted, but we decided to do the wash and only do antibiotics if I had the risk factors: fever, prolonged rupture of membranes... Turned out I got no treatment because my labour was so fast! She only arrived about 1/2 an hour before DD2 was born!

GBS positive is certainly not in and of itself reason to have a hospital birth--I'd question your midwife and, perhaps, find another one. That would be better than a hospital, IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,936 Posts
My MW does not require GBS test from me at all. She actually said that positive GBS test does not mean anything anyway. She says that a big % of women has it positive and it does not affect the baby at all. So I am glad I don't have to worry about that.......
But I would recommend to try one thing - try Tea Tree Oil - dip tampon in solution made from water and few drops of tee tre oil and insert for couple of hours...........that might help. It certainly helps for yeast infection. Tea tree oil is very strong antiseptic so it might help in this case as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,936 Posts
I just remembered something my MW said as well......she said that women can be postive, but the bacterias live in collonies and when they take the sample they can totally miss it and the test comes out negative and vise versa.........so it is very unreliable. I would not worry about it, but I guess when it effects MW's decision whether you going to have a HB or not.........I am sorry. It sucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Why did she test you at 28 weeks to start with?? That is not "standard of care" (a little background - I'm a family physician who practivce matenity care!). As others have said, there are alternatives - vaginal instillations - to IV antibiotics and there in no inherent contraindication to an IV for antibiotics at home. Lastly, consider refusing the screen at 36 weeks. I chose not to have it done because I didn't want to get into the debate over antibiotics (Ok, I'll be honest - I would have refused an IV anyway). Try talking to your midwife - she should be willing to allow you to decide what testing you want or don't want. The real risks of GBS disease are very tiny but they have become very magnified because it is a hot topic for malpractice these days. A good informed consent might be all you need.

Amy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was the clinic I was going to that tested me at 28 weeks. I then switched to my midwife. She did not agree with having the test done at 28 weeks - why test so soon when the results can change from week to week? I will have to talk to her again. She may have mentioned a hospital birth for my benefit, thinking it would put my mind at ease (it didn't, I'm so frustrated thinking I may have to go to the hospital rather than stay at home). But she may have mentioned it because I had told her my nephew had serious complications when he was born due to GBS. I don't know all of the details- he's on my husband's side of the family and it happened before we had met. Anyway, she knew GBS was a concern of my husbands before we even had the results. I guess I'm a little more at ease with it, I've been reading anything I can on it and would be willing to decline the test at 36 weeks. Maybe if I educate him a little more on the subject, he will be a little more open to the idea. Right now his idea of it is- if the test results at 36 weeks are positive, we have the baby at the hospital. Aren't I relatively safe to be at home if I don't show any of the high risk signs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
742 Posts
GBS-UGH! I tested postiiveat 35 weeks. My lay midwife wasn't concerned based on the research but I was. SO, I decided to retest and for 3 days I did a hibclens douche (I think it was 2 oz hibclens to 8 oz water) bdfore testing. I also did 4 weeks of nutritional supplementing. 1,000 mg Vit C, 1 echinacea cap., grapeseed extract, garlic and acidopholus 3TIMES A DAY!I did this up to birth to make sure I had a strong immunity. PLUS I drank lots of water and practiced outstanding prenatal nutrition so my water wouldn't break prematurely. I tested neg for GBS at 37 weeks and my water broke while pushing -about 10 min before my dd was born., PM or email me for some links if you need them
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top