Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to financial reasons I have to go back to work soon. I work as a nurse at the hospital and will have to work around 2 night shifts (10pm to 7:30am) a week. My DD is 1 yr old and has nursed to sleep and coslept/night nursed every night. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to gently night wean her and slowly shift the night time comforting to my husband? She is VERY attached to nursing and just rolls over and nurses multiple times during the night (I'm not exactly sure how often since I sleep through most of it). Will it be confusing to her to have me there 5 nights out of the week? HELP, this is very stressfull for me, I don't want her to have to CIO during those nights, I want this to be as non traumatic as possible for her.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
You may not have to completely nightwean if you're only gone 2 nights a week. You may find your daughter is fine with your dh on the nights you're not there, and still nurses when you are there.<br><br>
We nightweaned when ds was almost 22 mo - I slept on the couch for about 5 nights and dh was the nighttime parent. Ds did great - never cried, only woke up once and snuggled right back to sleep. He's a little older than your dd though and can understand "No more baba in bed, we'll have baba tomorrow" and he's fine with that.<br><br>
You might find that your daughter is OK without you, she may not be. You'll probably have to try a few different things to figure out something that works for the both of you.<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
749 Posts
I agree you may not have to- my DS would sleep fine by that age with just Daddy but when I was physically there is when he needed to night-nurse to sleep

·
Registered
709 Posts
You may not need to nightwean but the best advice I have seen on LOTS of techniques for night weaning...is No Cry Sleep Solution - book

·
Registered
444 Posts
I am weaning from nursing due to medical reasons and have slept downstairs in the guest bedroom the past two nights. We are hoping it will only be a few more before I can return, but so far so good. My son is 7 months and the past two nights when he woke up my husband offered the bottle, each night he took a few ounces once the rest of the times he woke and would cry a little while on my husbands chest and then fall back asleep. Last night he woke up a little less and a few times just rolled over with a tiny fuss and fell back asleep. I am sure it will be different when I am there, as he wants to be nursed....but perhaps you can just do that on the nights you work, and still nurse the others. I second No Cry Sleep Solution.<br>
Sarah

1 - 5 of 5 Posts