Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a "what would you do in this situation" question....

We were away for the weekend for a retreat with our church and Zander could not come with us. The breeder that we got him from offered to keep him for us and she lives on the way to where we were going but because he has gone to the same doggy daycare everyday since he was 10 weeks old (he just turned 1), we decided to board him. We visit the breeder every couple months so he knows her and her dogs but we just figured it would be less stressful for him to go somewhere he goes everyday. He loves the kennel and everyone there and they all know him so well. He stayed there this summer for a week and had a great time. So....... I drop him off on Fri afternoon and I ask the kennel manager if there are going to be other dogs there for him to play with. She told me yes. I called Sat am to check on him and I was told that he was having a good time. We pick him up today at 4:00 when we get home and are told that he has chewed his raised food/water dish all to pieces and peed all over his bed (he has never done these things before at home or when being boarded). I said I was surprised that he did this. I am then told that the weather was wild over the weekend and it was rainy and windy and he did not get out much.
So we got him and his stuff and came home. The more I thought about it, the more po'd I got.
He is a big dog with lots of hair and he is not made out of sugar so who cares if it is raining. And if it was really raining that bad, they have a huge enclosed play area. So I called after we got home to say that I was very upset that he spent the weekend with minimal exercise. I explained that aside from me, they know him better than anyone and they know that he requires and is used to exercise 2-3 times/day. Their story then changed and they said that there was only one other dog there for him to play with and that this other dog would only play for a 1/2 hr. I said that he would not be there for a few days because I was upset and needed some time to decide whether I would be back. If I had known he was that miserable, I would have come home early and got him.... and they knew that. So I spent $60 for my baby to be unhappy for the whole weekend
. I know that none of this is a huge deal but I am a very committed pet mother and I feel that it is my responsibility as his mom to make sure that his needs are met. He was so anxious when he got home, it took him a couple hrs to settle in and that is so not like him.

So, I expect to get a phone call from the kennel manager tomorrow because we are regulars but I am not sure how to handle it. I am po'd but I know how much he loves going there. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
i had something similar happen to me the last time my dog was boarded at our vets. he goes to doggy daycare there as well 2-3 times per week and also LOVES it. we boarded him in sept. and packaged all of his food up along with a 1 cup measurer with instructions to feed 1 scoop 3 times per day (he's still a puppy). anyway, when we went to pick him up they gave us the food container back and there was still quite a bit of food in there (i measured exactly what he'd need) and i asked the woman who was checking us out and she said "oh, i don't know, maybe he refused his meals a few times?". not likely as he's NEVER refused a meal and has boarded there before and done daycare when he's had to eat lunch. no one has ever said that he didn't eat a meal. needless to say, i was a bit peeved as i measured out what was left in the container and it was 4 meals worth (basically, they never fed him lunch). for a growing puppy to be that underfed for 5 days is kind of a big deal to me
: long story short, i was going to call and be angry with the office manager, but decided to let it go.....this time. if it happens again, believe me, i'll let 'em have it!

perhaps if this is the first time this has happened and you've always had good experiences there....maybe you can let them know how you felt when you picked your dog up, but still give them another chance to prove to you that this is a good place to trust your dog to stay?!

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Well, I'd speak with the kennel manager, be prepared to hear them out before getting defensive (mainly because if you're defensive first, it will increase the chance that he/she will make excuses)
I had one weekend here, we went away, my regular assisstant was unable to spend the weekend. I approached my good friend who has taken over all my grooming clients to see if her assisstant of 2 yrs, whom she trusts completely, would stay at my house to care for a couple boarding dogs I had. Basically, I had 3 dogs, same family, DAMN good client of mine--so while they were the only ones and I could have had them go somewhere else that weekend, I instead payed this girl to come stay at the house. It should have been super easy, Havoc was with my mom, Bedlam was with my aunt, so all she had was the cat and this clients 3 dogs.
It was a disaster of grand proportions. *Most* clients wouldn't have even noticed that it didn't go the way it did when I was home, this was NOT one of those clients!. Basically, once we got to the bottom of things, this girl just completely misunderstood my instructions. I called 5 times while we were gone (3 days) and she never asked. In the end I came to the conclusion that while quite well meaning, the girl was not the brightest bulb in the box.

Now, as the business owner, this is what I did. I refunded the client for the boarding charges that weekend and apoligized and told her I would not be using that person again. Firing the person who cared for Zander for the weekend may not be an option, but I think the manager should assure you that she will receive better training. There should be a heartfelt sorry and you should not have to pay for that weekend--but it would be fair to have that "refunded" in the form of free daycare.
Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
So he had a great time there when many dogs are there during the week... but when you tried out a weekend experience, when the other regulars weren't there- he didn't have such a great time.

It sounds to me like you just learned that the place does not maintain the same rhythm 24/7 and that your dog does not take to the weekend thing very well. I don't think that's cause to totally shun the establishment- just figure out other situations for weekends.

Another person could have been justifiably pissed off if their dog were put out in horrible weather- so I don't see the line where they made an obvious mistake.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Another person could have been justifiably pissed off if their dog were put out in horrible weather- so I don't see the line where they made an obvious mistake.
They know me very, very well. We spend a ton of time talking during pick up/drop off so they know I would be fine if he got wet/dirty.

It is after 1:00pm and the manager has not called me yet.
:

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Kim, I'd call him--you never know WHAT he was told, kwim? Heck, he may have been told you were home for a few days or that Zander wasn't feeling well, you just don't know. Also, some people, can be very good business people but still have trouble with confrontations. I've had to work SO hard to force myself to purposely enter into an area that could result in a confrontation, I've been in business many years but honestly, I struggle still. Just today, I FINALLY forced myself to call a client who had bounced a check, great client, never had a problem, they've referred many others to me, but there was just this little part of me that was afraid that they bounced it on purpose because they didn't like the service--totally stupid and when I called today it turned out that a couple months ago they'd had their identity stolen and the husband had mistakenly written the check on an account that was closed. They were VERY apoligetic and after hanging up I felt like such a total dork that I was afraid to call them.

So, give him a chance....often people who are amazing with dogs aren't so terrific with humans

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.