Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to loose weight. I am dieting. But about exercise i don't know they best way to stay motivated. I have a ton of videos (mostly older from the late 80 and 90's) and a ab rolly thing (like with wheels and you do a push up but suppose to work abs)
My problem is i don't even know if these things work. And i can't even do a whole video. I start it and get maybe 15 mins into it and get really tired and quit. I don't know if it is even worth it. I was going to buy some new videos but if i can't even keep up with these they why get new ones. (plus we can't really afford it but DH would let me knowing how much i sturgle) but serousily i have at least 25 different videos already.
So whould you keep these videos do you think they are any good?
What do you do when you can only do 15 mins of them?
How do you stay motivated?
Do those ab rolly things work?
I have recently got an online buddy and i think that may help don't know what else i can do.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I recommend trying out some workout videos by checking them out at the library. I like to do this sometimes in winter, to change the routine and keep me moving. Our public library has a nice collection of fitness videos, and in winter, when I can't get out as much as I'd like, the videos help me maintain my fitness.

Also, WALK! Again, our library has those walking videos (Leslie Sansone?), and I know a lot of people like them if they can't really go outdoors to fitness walk. Walking is a nice, natural motion, everyone does it has his/her own pace, and as your fitness improves, so will your pace, naturally.

I never used any real "equipment" myself, until recently when I bought a treadmill and started using little dumbells for upper arms. My favorite video choices are pilates and bellydance, but they are more about muscle toning than aerobic exercise for me.

About 2 years ago, I committed to fitness. I've lost over 85 pounds. I'm not to goal yet, but I have found health, and it is an amazing gift. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
The hardest part is getting started and making fitness and exercise a habit. At first you really have to MAKE yourself do it and you feel so good afterward. When you start seeing results and getting smaller clothes and compliments, it makes it so much easier to stick with it. The results make you want to work that much harder.
Try setting goals for yourself like: today I'll do this video up to X exercise; tomorrow I'll go to X exercise plus the next one. Or if you try walking, start by going to X mailbox and tomorrow go the one after that. I think people get discouraged by starting too hard/fast. Start slow and work your way up.
You CAN do it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I have had problems with my VCR and videos. Does anyone know why the picture would play but the sound will not? Does the VCR need cleaned or something? You can hear the sound a tiny bit if you turn it all the way up.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
It could be that the VCR needs cleaned - it'd be worth trying! As for the videos, they can feel overwhelming. Sometimes they're hard to keep up with and the steps are hard to figure out. The way I work with that is, I put the video on and sort of stay along with the instructor! If I'm getting too tired, I take it down a step. If they're doing something where they're moving legs and putting arms up and down for example - I'll put my arms on my hips. When I'm a little more in shape - I'll do a few of the arm moves. When I'm up to their level I'll do it all. Make sense? If I don't know the moves, I just make up my own until I can figure theirs out. Trying to do exactly what they're doing can be a real pain until you're really used to the video. It's hard sometimes to keep up with an instructor when you're in a class with her, videos are even more challenging. Videos can be a great tool though if you don't let them stress you out. Then, of course, walking is great! You don't need a video for that!

p.s. I see that you're in Arkansas. Where? That's where I'm from! I miss it SOOOOOOOO badly.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VCR is working now don't know what the deal was. We are in Oakland it is a little town north of Mountain Home. Just moved here last year cause DH own a fishing resort and they needed us to come help them take care of it. It is beautiful but really boaring.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by peverroad
VCR is working now don't know what the deal was. We are in Oakland it is a little town north of Mountain Home. Just moved here last year cause DH own a fishing resort and they needed us to come help them take care of it. It is beautiful but really boaring.
Hee, hee - well, you are kind of out in the middle of nowhere! I grew up in Bentonville and went to college in Fayetteville - U of A. Glad your VCR is working again!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
The ab wheel is fabulous for working out your abdominals, just be sure to use proper form and push WAY out before rolling back in. Start with only a few, too, or else you'll be really sore. Keep in mind that the ab roller will help tone your stomach muscles, but it won't burn any fat that might be in your midsection. You cannot spot reduce using by doing exercises - what will burn fat is cardiovascular workouts.

If you have trouble making through a whole videotape, why not make your goal to do 15 minutes a day for the first couple weeks, then increase by 5 minutes a day each week after that? I don't see how getting new tapes would solve the problem - you'll still be working out and getting tired. But, that's the point of exercise: to work your muscles.

I love walking as exercise. Its especially nice if you have a workout buddy to chat with while you walk. Would your husband be interested in taking a walk every evening together?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Keeping a journal helps me. Even if I'm the only one looking at it, the act of writing it down makes me accountable to myself. I write down what I've eaten each day (and how many grams of fat, carb, prot, and fiber), and keep track of what exercise I did that day.

Set mini goals. Set a general goal for this month, like "I will eat more vegetables and less sugary snacks, I will do some kind of exercise 3-4 times a week, I will drink more water each day." I've noticed that if I make a goal of losing X number of lbs this month, I tend to obsess about the numbers and end up falling off my program. Yes, I have a goal weight (and in turn, a certain number of pounds I'd like to lose), but I know that will come eventually (oh please, oh please, it has to!!!!
)

As far as video tapes, try them in shorter intervals, and gradually increase your time as your endurance increases. There's nothing wrong with only doing a portion of the tape. Some of the ones I have say that if you get tired, just walk in place. If you need to, fast forward to the cool down section. After you've cycled through them, put away or get rid of the ones that just don't work for you.

Good luck! Keeping motivated is something I constantly struggle with. I recently started working out 1-2X a week with a friend, and I cannot believe how much it helps me!

Kristen

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Check out this website: http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php Even if you don't want to get into weightlifting (which, after trying many different kinds of activities to help me get & stay thin, I finally discovered is fabulous for a couple reasons: it is addictive, and it works) it is still a great site for motivation and information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey...according to me a gud way to loose weight is to do yoga...it keeps ur body & mind at ease & u don't build up a real big appetite...therby not eating to much leading to weight reduction...i am jus learnin these things frm the net...i am from goa & im gonna be tryin the yoga thing this yr in nov,,,i will be visitn this place called Ashiyana Tropical Yoga Retreat Centre...i heard its awesome...i too am tryin to loose weight as well as channelise my energy into productive means.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts