Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. we have a pediatrician, but i have a feeling he and his group are not too AP friendly. my main concerns are basically support for bf'ing/ understanding about cosleeping and delayed vax/no vax for some of the nonmandatory ones. i am not sure what other issues are really important to me right now but i dont think i will have too many issues as long as i can get understanding with the ones i listed above. the baby is due in dec. and i really dont want to go through battling with my current ped's about nb vax's, etc.
TIA
Rach

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would consider Bedford if the ped. is truly AP friendly. i know it sounds chicken, but i really dont want to have to battle my ped. every time an issue comes up regarding vaxes, bf'ing, etc. ykwim?
thanks
Rach

·
Registered
27 Posts
Our ped. here in Manchester is pretty ap friendly, she asks why I don't want to vax and reminds me it's "important" but she leaves it at that. My kids do have all their vax except Chicken pox, so I don't know if they'd be more adimant about the others but she doesn't put up a fuss about that one.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I really really like the practice we go to. I was actually considering giving my DD, HIB, at her 6 mo. appt (at 7 mo old) and they talked me out of it b/c she is breastfed and at home with me. I went to the appt all prepared to battle it out with them - but all my preparations were nixed as soon as we started talking - because they agreed with everything I said.

They do vaccinate (but not on schedule and only one shot per visit), but the NP I saw said that "many of our parents choose not to vaccinate" and "we are one of the only practices you can find in this area that agree with this"

They are so breastfeeding friendly. At DD's appt, I told them she was eating a few bites of banana, and that was it, and she just said something like, she just needs your milk and not to worry about the solids. Never even mentioned rice cereal, Vit D or vitamins. Just flouride, but that was a non-issue.

They didn't ask about sleep arrangements - just hours on average she slept at night and how she napped. Waking up in the middle of the night was fine, ect.

I got some positive remark about my sling.

I met with the NP that day, but have an appt next time with the doctor she works with, so I can not speak for him. She spent over an hour talking with us and agreeing with us. We left feeling refreshed and since DH went with us, he was more convinced on the no-vax thing.

So we left the appt happy. They are interested in Mothering Mag. in their waiting room. Gotta drop an issue off this week.

PS - they don't do Hep B, C-Pox - until the kid is kindergarten age...and they don't do Prevnar at all (which I am wondering if they give a medical exemption for since it is now required for K-12)

I also know that Appletree Family Practice in Londonderry (where we went 1x) will see you if you do not vaccinate - but I think they would try to argue with you. But I was not impressed with them at all. We took DD in for her 4 mo. appt, and because I was concerned about the amount of shots, they wanted to do PEDIARIX! ACK! We did leave with no-shots and didnt have to sign that dumb AAP form.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I think Hannahgrace goes to Geordie Thomson at Willowbend Family Practice in Bedford.
According to my midwife...Adrian Feldhusen, they are everything she says and more.
I think they even prescribe some homeopathy.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i got the information and still haven't been able to contact anyone yet. thanks to all of you for the info. i was hoping not to have to go all the way to Bedford, but if that is what i have to do, then that is what i will have to do. there is also an option for someone in N. Andover where i have to go often, so i may chose there out of convenience.
if anyone knows of a AP friendly ped. near Derry, Londonderry, Salem or Windham (theres a ton of other little towns in this area but right now i cant think of their names), please let me know.
thanks again,
rach

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.