Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My daughter is almost one and I've begun to look at the two Montessori Schools near us (Chesapeake Montessori and Montessori International). She could start probably at 15-16 months. She goes to an NAEYC accredited day care now which I love but I'm wondering if Montessori is better overall. Her teachers at the day care are very loving and it's very affordable as it's run by the military the Montessori school is more $$ but still within our budget. Any thoughts on the Montessori approach and whether it's worth the extra? Any thoughts on starting her at 15-16 months? My concern is waiting will make it impossible to get a spot!</p>

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
<p>I love our Montessori. That said...my thoughts are:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>First, be sure you visit each school at least twice. Montessori isn't trademarked, for one, but also you want an environment for a child that age that is warm & caring and will be a good match for your family way more than you want a 'method' if you ask me.  So just go in with your intuition and critical thinking wide open.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If her current daycare is working my inclination would be, unless you're /sure/ there wouldn't be a spot later, to keep her there 'til she's around 2, 2.5. Daycare that *works* is pretty golden. Although I liked our toddler programme (my son started at 22 months) I don't think it was that special (other than the teachers) until he actually transitioned to Casa.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>All that said if you fall in love with a school I think it does help the kids move into Casa easily.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts