Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! DD is about to turn 5 and for the first time wants a "real" birthday party, which she's never had before. We are keeping it small and easy (only 5 kids), but I am hoping to avoid the little-cheap-plastic-toy-party-favors that all the other moms hand out at their parties.<br><br>
Any ideas for a craft activity that the kids could then take home? Any other ideas for alternatives to "traditional" party favors?<br><br>
Do I even need party favors, or would I seem cheap to omit them? (The whole thing seems rather silly to me - the kids get more "loot" at other kids' parties than at their own!)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well, I like to send the guests home with something, but usually as the result of an activity, even if it's just a treasure hunt.<br><br>
My daughter will turn 5 in February and we already have the theme. I know, that's a little crazy, but I just love theme parties!!<br><br>
It's going to be an art party. I am going to buy white t-shirts and fabric paints. I am going to do names on them before the party. Then at the party, they can each paint a shirt. Since the shirts won't be dry by home time, I am baking shortbread cookies in oval shapes with a hole at one end and strategically placing smarties around them so they look like painters' palettes (sp?) and place them in a cellophane bag with a paintbrush sticking out of the end. I'm going to decorate the cake with splashes of icing that look like paint splatters. It should be fun!<br><br>
Let us know how your's goes!!!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
We just celebrated dd's 3rd birthday. I think party favors are important, because it is symbolic of giving AND receiving. Dd helped me pack the little bags and then gave each friend thier bag. It wasn't just about her receiving, even tho the focus and honor at the party was very much on her.<br>
In the bags we packed a little spiral notebook and gel pen, 2 finger puppets (handmade by a friend), soap (handmade by me), and stickers. (Only 3 kids!)<br>
Our craft was making binoculars from toilet paper rolls. (I got the idea from Nickjr.com. Granted my dd is younger than yours.<br>
I like the art party idea!

·
Registered
386 Posts
the best party idea we did was to pay a 4h girl to bring her rabbit. each child got to sit in the chair and have the rabbit and have a picture taken. than they took turns letting it hop around while they held the leash.<br><br>
many other animal visitors wd. also be good.<br><br>
another great one was we filled water balloons not too full and gave them big serving spoons and they had to keep the balloon on the spoon while they walked a course. used 5 gallon buckets as slalom. relay race. that was fun. they are ready for other kinds of relays, too. like a dress up race (with help). or water balloon toss.<br><br>
rrr

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Saturday we are having a "fiesta" to celebrate d's 7th birthday. The kids will get sombreros that I ordered for about $1 apeice. And maracas that were even cheaper.<br><br>
At my 3 yo's party we gave theme plastic cups (real cups, not disposable) filled with treats and some playdough, and stickers.<br><br>
One year we painted bird houses to take home.<br><br>
We had a Harry Potter party one year and sent home HP glasses and hats.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
We do not do gifts at my kids birthday parties (with their friends).<br>
I make up bags that all the kids get.....usually part way through the party so they can play with things together.<br><br>
I like to get plain bags & put their names on them & then decorate them with kids. I like to print off colouring sheets from the computer, make play dough, add fun little craft ideas & add paper and stickers and whatever else I can find. It's easy to make little pads of paper with the kids name or a cute character on them in different coloured paper. I also make cookies in the letters of each kids name. And I usually put one helium balloon on each so they can all take one home.<br><br>
We usually have the most fun making the bags & finding cool, cheap & fun things to put in the bags. My friends all love coming now & get excited about what their kids will get this year. And the kids get all excited when they see a bag with their name.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would start with brainstorming ideas of themes that suit your 5 year old. Is your child into sports? Books? Bugs? Tea parties?<br><br>
Once you have your theme you can make your plan. I would keep everything as theme oriented as I could.<br><br>
For example: a circus birthday party: make invitations in the shape of circus tent, clown cake, popcorn in decorated paper buckets (or cups), events such as face painting (homemade face paint is easy with 1 tbsp crisco, 2 tbsp cornstarch and food coloring)<br><br>
banana bash (banana invitations which tell the child to wear yellow and to bring a banana to make banana splits), make homemade icecream in a ziplock or coffee can (cream and sugar to taste in one bag, insert bag into another filled with ice and rock salt, squeeze/pummel/roll and viola, ICE CREAM)<br><br>
Kids domain.com has a ton of craft ideas and a whole section of crafts using recycled items<br><br>
good luck<br>
denise

1 - 7 of 7 Posts