Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking for some good book recomendations for a friend who is PG w/ #2. Her first birth was somewhat traumatic for her and her DH. It ended in a vaccuum birth, and an NICU stay for baby. The entire thing could have been prevented by a better Dr. who actually listened, but hind sight is 20/20. I would LOVe to get her a good book or two about birth, I am pretty sure she has the Dr. sears ones already, and she is a nurse, so she does know quite a bit. I am hoping for something inspirational, that will help her feel confident and less scared when the time comes.

Thanks for any recommendations!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Birthing from Within

and

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth (Ina May Gaskin)

My first birth was traumatic too...violent vacuum extraction...and these two books have really helped return peace to me.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I also want to recommend Birthing from Within as well as Henci Goer's book that I'm blanking on the name. I had a traumatic first birth and during my second pregnancy I read Birthing from Within as a healing experience, as well as attended Hypnobirthing classes (which I think was probably the most helpful thing for me). Henci Goer's book gave me the hard facts to be able to make the decisions I needed to the second time around.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is wonderful because of the empowering stories!! But since she is a nurse she might like Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Harper and Suzanne Arms as it deals with the myths of childbirth in the United States. It was a wealth of information for me which I find helpful for getting over my fear, it also came with a dvd of nice calm birth experiences. But the key to healing from the trauma is finding the right caregiver who will be on the same page as her so she doesn't have a repeat experience.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahappymel View Post
Birthing from Within

and

My first birth was traumatic too...violent vacuum extraction...and these two books have really helped return peace to me.
Exactly what I would have posted, word for word. Those two books are both excellent and helped me to process my own son's violent vacuum extraction.

More carefully selecting my birth attendants and birthplace were also important to me. I hope your friend is able to choose a different OB/MW this time.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahappymel View Post
Birthing from Within

and

These two--absolutely! They were recommended to me by friends who had similar experiences hoping I might be able to have a better birth the first time around. Good luck to your friend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts