Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making buttermilk for the first time..I just got culture packets from New England Cheesemaking Co. I heated the milk to 72 and put the culture in (as per directions). In the NT book it says to keep the temp below 80 degrees. It's pretty hot here today and room temp is above that. When I measured the temp of the buttermilk itself, it was hanging a little above 80.
Did I kill the culture? Do I have to put my AC on and reculture it. Please help soon, don't want to ruin it...I have no more raw milk left

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
It's probably fine, but haven't done it myself.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm...the cream is kinda slimy-ish. It doesn't smell bad though...different...but not knock your socks off bad. When I mix it it's not super thick...but I'm thinking maybe its because I used raw milk? Did it go bad or still ok? (It's been about 18 hours)

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
What are you using it for?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't really know...I was sort of bored.
I wanted primarily to use it for soaking flours I guess.
I wouldn't really know what else to do with it. I checked it again and it is thicker and smells buttery so I think I do have buttermilk....

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I would definitely use it. You should find some milk kefir grains so you don't have to use a starter powder and then use the kefir to soak flour.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the advantage of kefir over buttermilk? (I'm semi-new to NT) I just thought I might like the taste of buttermilk in my soaked grains/flours.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The primary advantage is that kefir is so easy to handle. You don't need to heat the milk or anything -- just plunk the grains in and let it sit at room temperature. 10-48 hours later (depending on room temperature and how sour you like it), you have kefir.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts