Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start:<br><br>
Yesterday we took Mason jars and drew on them with sparkle glue pens. You can put a candle inside. Or you can draw the designs then roll them out on paper.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
How about Potato printing?<br><br>
Cut a potato in half and then cut in a design/shape in the exposed potato. Then press into paint and stamp onto paper.<br><br>
We did this to make wrapping paper out of recycled brown bags.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
we like to make "playdough":<br><br>
1 cup all purpose flour<br>
1/2 cup sea salt<br>
2 tsp cream of tartar (to keep from molding)<br>
1 cup water<br>
1 tbsp oil<br><br><br>
optional: food colouring<br>
or scented oil a couple of drops peppermint, lavendar, tangerine<br><br><br>
you cook it over med heat, stirring all time until reaches a dough consistency and cool. then break into half or quarters and knead in food colouring. cut and play with cookie cutters, dull butter knifes, etc.<br><br><br>
the kids can mix and stir with adult supervision and a sturdy safe stool.

·
Registered
721 Posts
We like to make playdough without food coloring...<br><br>
then we add cinnamon, and pretend to make apple pies...<br>
or, you can roll it out and draw on it with markers. (Really!)

·
Banned
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks for that recipe! It worked very well. I had a different one that came out harder. This is super soft and supple!<br><br>
Today we cut out words and images from magazines and made a little book. We have a cover page, a family page (words like family, go together, everyone, simple, etc.), a "fun stuff to do together" page, a happy page, and a ssshhh bedtime page. We'll add photos and other mementos tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I get books from the library with craft ideas. The children's non-fiction section has several books with ideas - we just bought the ingrediants to make a goo (Non-newtonian fluid, I think it is called).<br><br>
You will find more ideas thatn you possibly have time or energy for!<br><br>
Other good sources:<br><br><a href="http://www.familyfun.com" target="_blank">www.familyfun.com</a><br><br>
and<br><a href="http://www.perputualpreschool.com" target="_blank">www.perputualpreschool.com</a>

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Sometimes we collect interestingly shaped rocks & shells, then paint them.<br><br>
We also make "glitter bottles" - fill an empty plastic bottle w/glitter, water & anything else small enough to fit in the opening. Glue cap on. The kids like to shake them & watch it all settle. Can be very calming. We made a "nature bottle" last week w/things from the yard. We are planning to make a "beach bottle" on our next trip to the beach.<br><br>
Playing w/ a tray of shaving cream is also fun. You can add other toys to it, like cars or figures.

·
Banned
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm we're going to the lake for a week so maybe the rock painting will be good there.<br><br>
I like the bottle idea. Color me clueless but how do I glue the cap on? Just put glue on the inside of the cap and screw it on?<br><br>
I found some more ideas. (The problem with many websites for me is that I can't always get a lot of the materials needed -even simple stuff like paper plates).<br><br>
Sun Painting<br>
The children here love this activity! Take a dark color of construction paper outside with 4-5 distinct objects-blocks, letters, shapes, scissors, etc. Place the paper on the ground in direct sunlight (sidewalk works best), scatter the objects on the paper and let the sun work its wonders. After 2-3 hours of baking, the paper will fade around the objects. Take the objects off the paper and you will see that where the objects are, the paper hasn't faded! Kids are fascinated by this!<br><b>I'm not sure my kid will be able to wait for the gratification of this one, IYKWIM</b><br><br>
Springtime is the time we see new life. It is the perfect time to investigate eggs. Soak an egg in vinegar overnight. The hard shell will dissolve. The children can even bounce this egg like a ball. When the egg is broken, they will be able to look at the membrane that held the egg together. Soaking the egg also makes it transparent. If you use a flashlight near the egg, you can see the yolk inside.<br><br>
Mystery Pictures<br>
Using watercolor paper and a white crayon, draw simple pictures onto the paper. After drawing the pictures, give to the children and allow them to use watercolors on the paper. The image of the picture that you drew will appear on the paper and the "mystery" will be solved.<br><br>
Tin Foil Prints<br>
Needed: Lots of tin foil Tempera paint Paper Have the children crumple up the tin foil then un-crumple it. Have the children paint on the tin foil with a multitude of colors. When they are done, lay a piece of paper over their creation to make cool prints!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>ParisMaman</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;"><br>
I like the bottle idea. Color me clueless but how do I glue the cap on? Just put glue on the inside of the cap and screw it on?<br></div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
I use rubber cement around the bottle opening, then screw cap on. Most of my kids' glue is washable, so I don't know if that would hold, especially on plastic.<br><br>
I like your ideas. We are always looking for new projects. Another thing we do is have a "scavenger hunt", both indoors & out. My kids are 2 & 4, so we keep it simple. To help w/language & concepts, I'll give a clue like, "Find something that is round... makes music... smells good..., etc." Once they find it, we put it in a big basket and move on to another clue. I keep going until I can see they are starting to lose interest. They really enjoy it and ask for it often.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas!<br><br>
Ds is really into making a town out of little cereal boxes, milk cartons and other various sized things. We either paint the outsides of them to look like little houses and buildings, or decorate them with paint, glitter, buttons, ect...<br><br>
He also likes to make little puppet people out of construction paper, then decorate them and glue them to a popsicle stick and play with them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts