Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*sigh* ds is only 7 mo old and already i am so sick & tired of stressing out about daycare...

can anybody help me please?? here's my deal: i am in seattle only for the summer, but will be back in NYC in the fall, where i attend NYU law school. my job here in seattle ends Aug 18. school starts Aug 25. since i will only be in town a couple days before classes start, i obviously have to have child care lined up in advance. i'm assuming that spots fill up fast, so i should do it WELL in advance. also, i have no idea where i'll be living - will start out staying w/ friends in Far Rockaway and find an apartment (maybe in Queens... Jackson Heights-ish?) ASAP. since i don't know where i'll be living, my only option is to look for child care near the school (which is right on Washington Square).

NYU sucks ass when it comes to child care, all they offer is a subsidy of $200 per semester (what a joke) and access to a child care referral service. so i called the service and they sent me their provider listing and i feel just as lost as ever. since i won't be able to go look at places myself i really really need personal referrals.

would love to hear anything you have to say about any child care center or in home day care in lower Manhattan. (no rec's for sitters or nannies please - i'm poor!) also, can anyone recommend any other online forums or listserves for NYC parents, preferably AP or AP-friendly, where i could get more info?

last semester i just took ds to school w/ me for my morning classes and left him w/ a sitter one night a week for my evening class. but this coming year is going to be way different, i will have to bring him to a day care for sure.

thank you!!

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
In re downtown, am of absolutely zero use to you. We don't use any day care or sitters or anything like that, and besides, we're on the Upper West Side ...

Except that I just discovered the Manhattan price range for day care baby sitters runs from $12 to $15 an hour.

HTH.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
I iwhs I could help you on daycare but I cannot. My friends either have no kids, are WAHMs or have nannies. We are moving there in a few weeks to be near our family. We are going to live in the East Village or thereabouts. I am going up this weekend to find a place. Anyway--my point in posting...I am an AP mama and actually have met a few other women from Delphi (we all CD and are AP, etc.) who live in Manhattan. So hopefully we will do some playgroups and whatnot. You should come and meet up with us. Maybe once we get to know each other, we could always help you out. I know we do not know each other, but I would have nights free if you ever needed last minute help. My son has stayed home since he was born and he is almost 1.5 so I never mind having other kids over to play. It would keep him busy! How old is/are your child/ren? I am just finishing my UG and I know how tough school and kids can be. It is always nice to have a support group.

I do hope you find daycare. If you have any mind, I can ask around about them. I am not sure what we are going to do (I do not even have a job yet so I will be unemployed LOL) when I get a job--hopefully the MIL but we will see. Hopefully meet you soon

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks melissa! i noticed that the NYC moms on this forum got together in union sq recently. like i said, i am in seattle for the summer but when i get back to NYC i would definitely be down for sthing like that. i am mad busy but i think it would be good for me to have more friends w/ kids. right now i just know one couple (who i will be staying w/ in far rock). you are so sweet to offer your help! i look fwd to meeting you too... oh, ds will be exactly 7 mo tomorrow!

eta:
to NYC!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
OK. These two aren't right next to Washington Square, but I know both are good:

Children's Liberation Daycare Center
Within PS 122 (An art's center)
On East 9th Street between 1st Avenue and Avenue A
Right across the street from Flower Power Herbs and Roots (http://www.flowerpower.net) which is an unofficial AP hangout. The owner, Lata Chettri is a recent mother and I hang out there a lot (hung out there a lot as an antidote from engineering school while studying. :nana: ).

Little Missionary Day School (? Daycare?,
)
on St. Marks Place between 1st Avenue and Avenue A.

These are decidedly in the EAST VILLAGE. These are within walking distance to NYU, ------ BUT ------, unless you luck out and find an affordable apt. in the area, these aren't totally convenient for other public transport. Look on a street map, The nearest stations are for the L, F/V, 6, and N/R/W. The northbound M15 bus stops right there. St. Marks Place is a Limited Stop (ie: express). And the crosstown M8 bus goes west on East 9th Street and East on St. Marks Place. So, if you are really organized and the bus-stars are in your favor, you can make really good time.

I've got a friend who is doing masters work at NYU. She has a little girl (6) and a little boy (< 1). PM me your e-mail and maybe I can get her to e-mail you. I think she is in PR right now for a month or so. But, she is a wealth of info. about stuff like this.

PS: THE EAST VILLAGE IS NOT AFFORDABLE ANY MORE UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY, REALLY LUCKY!!!!!! Look in Astoria and Sunnyside for better deals in areas well-served by the trains. Also, Inwood (at the top of Manhattan). Far Rockaway is a looooooong way out.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the rec's! that is exactly the kind of info i need. no, the location is not ideal but not horrible either, so i will look into them. also pm'ing you.

believe me, i am not trying to find an apt in the E Village, or any place else in lower Manhattan. not trying to stay in Far Rock either, that just happens to be where i have friends who have an extra room and kiddies of their own so they won't mind mine (we hope
)

i may as well plug my apt search while i'm here... iso 1-bedroom, ideally <$850 but could go higher if utilities are included, must be near a train and have laundry on-site or nearby (cuz we
, no more than about 40 min from Wash Sq by train. neighborhoods i've been thinking about: Jackson Heights, Long Island City, Harlem, E Harlem, Washington Heights, Williamsburg (i know that's a long shot) but i don't have my heart set on any of these. i do a lot of work w/ an organization that's based in Woodside, Queens, so would prefer some place that's not impossible to get where i'm going (lived in Bed-Stuy last year and one thing i hated about it was it literally took me an hour and a half to get to Woodside - A to the G to the 7). if things get ugly i will settle for a studio, but it sure would be nice to have a door to close now and then.

so, if anyone hears of anything opening up, or has any good tips on getting by w/o a broker, please help a mama out!

thanks yall!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
You might just save yourself a whole lot of trouble if you are willing to use prefolds from a diaper service. I use Nature Baby Diaper Service. 800/344-3427

David of said company delivers everywhere in the city.

You should definately be looking in Inwood or Astoria. How are rents in Woodside?

Check out Craigs' List, too, but that is not great for family stuff.

Can't NYU's accomodations office help?
. The univ. costs enough.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i used a diaper service last year and didn't love it. for one thing, they kept screwing up my order. for another thing, i kind of hate pf's, plus we spend so much time out and about. if i end up w/o laundry access i guess i'll have to use a service again (thanks for the rec, maybe your guy would be better than my other service) but i love my pocket diapers!

i would consider Astoria, but Inwood seems kind of far ??? is that just a mental block? Woodside would be ok, as long as it's close to the #7. seems like rents there are comparable to Jackson Hts. JH seems pretty cool, I think i would really like it there.

do not even get me started on how much frickin tuition i pay (loans, of course) to get like NO support. i will list w/ the accommodations office, but of course it is really geared towards young students.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I thought of Inwood as it is on the A line and would take you express to West 4th Street Station.

But, with you working in Woodside, I think looking for something along the #7 is better.

I've found Nature Baby to be pretty accomodating. I've also just used prefolds with pins and wool soakers from the start. Couldn't be bothered with all these other things. It seemed like there was just going to be too much experimenting and I knew my combo would work so I just decided to go with it.

Anyhow, I think that my landlady (who lives in the building) would probably take a dim view of washing lots of diapers in our machine in the basement. If she knew. But we don't, so I don't know for sure. I'm great at delegating and was perfectly happy to let someone else do it. There have been a couple of glitches early on, but I keep a stash of Nature Boy and Girl disposables for those "oops" occasions -- which have been only twice or three time in two + years of diapering -- and I was willing to put up with that for the convenience. I just don't have time to wash diapers with my schedule. I'm lucky I keep the regular laundry done. I couldn't for a long time while the basement was being renovated. We had to take it to the local laundromat, so the DH did that as I couldn't carry so much stuff in my arms with the damage done to my back during the birth. But, it is fixed now....and I'm totally off topic.

Sorry. Anyhow, I'll keep my ears open. And I'll try to contact my friend and ask her advice, too.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so, nobody can point me to any listserves or forums or discussion boards or anything?

btw, i called children's liberation day school and they are age 2 & up, just in case anyone else lurks this thread for info.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I wish I had information to give you, but I don't. I've been wondering how I could...get a group of mothers to sign up for a home daycare that I would like to have - and THEN maybe I could rent an apartment to live/have the daycare in...But, even for my creative mind, it sounds too complicated...The mothers would all have to live/work in that area...there would have to be an apt. available in that area...ect...

Here's an apt. listing I got from the bulletin board at the Park Slope Food Coop. It's more than $850, but I think it will be extremely difficult to find a one bedroom for that price. But I don't know, I gave up looking. It's located in Fort Greene. The family I've been babysitting for the past 2 1/2 years is probably going to move from the upper west side to there (or Park Slope) for a year at least. They want to reduce hours as their children are older, but have them attend part time, yes, a mixed age home day care led by me...

They also have shared group houses listings at the Park Slope Food Coop. The people there tend to be progressive, eat healthfully, believe in community, and all those things. Don't know if that kind of situation interests you.

I'll personally e-mail you the apartment listing. Good luck. That part of town seems intersting. I would think that there should be some interesting daycares around there, especially on the East Side, which is totally walkable from there, at a brisk pace.

Well, the woman I work for is pretty nice, and for a reduced price, she might let me bring him with me to work for a while. I've done it with her childrens' friends, and once brought another girl I babysat.The children had a ball. I could carry the baby in a sling (as I did mine, and later the baby of this family who is now 3 next month). I take my child (5 1/2) and he is very close to her older child (5 1/2). I can email/phone you references. And between that and other people's help, maybe that could give you time to personally check out the daycares. But I have to check it out with her first. Also I can help you out on my own time some.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
A good friend of mine sends her son to a family daycare located just steps off of Washington Square Park/NYU:

Joan Gillman runs it.
The name is Gillman-Greig Family Daycare.
Location is 26 East 8th Street (corner of University Place), NYC 10003.
Tel: 212-777-1422.

She loves it, and I get the impression that it is pretty affordable.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Guerillamama, did you find anything yet? I asked around, and it seems I can find nothing. I hope you do. It can be tough from far away

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no, nothng...

the referral service thru my school is NO HELP. i might as well be using the yellow pages. craigslist and urbanbaby - also no help. im really worried but what can i do
just keep looking
meco, thank you so much for asking around (and for bumping this thread)

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Did you call Joan Gillman? (see post #14 above)

I really think she might be an option for you - a very nice, small family daycare; I think there were only 8 or 9 kids total. It is right on campus - just blocks from Union Square.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oh sorry, i did mean to reply and say that i called her and she called back and left a message that they are full.
but i should call her back and ask if she can recommend anyone else. don't know why i didn't think of that till right now.
thanks adrianne!

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Little Missionaries - 93 St. Mark's Place (8th St off of 1st Ave, I think) (212) 777-9774 is a nursery for ages 2 and up, I think. They usually fill up in the spring but sometimes people drop out and there might be an opening.

There's another east village daycare which I think is on East 9th Street between 1st and A but I don't know what it's called. And I know of another one opening up on Ave. B and 2nd I think, but again I don't have info - if I can find out I'll post again...

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah, i called little missionaries and left them a message per sohj's suggestion earlier, but they never called back. but, if they only do 2 and up that won't help me anyway.
i didn't anticipate it would be so hard to find care for a child under 2.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts