Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds has a diaper rash that is pretty bad. I've tried topical treatments, desitin, burt's bees, aveno diaper cream and none of them have helped. What can I try next? Should I strip my dipes? How do I do that? Should I wash with vinegar? If I do I can't wash covers at the same time right? What detergent should I use to avoid rashes? Is there anything I can put on topically that will help? What am I missing that I can do to get rid of this pesky rash???

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
When we get red butt over here we put on one of our various creams and then put babe in a prefold or prefitted with a wool cover until bum is no longer red. We don't have major problems though and putting her in something breathable for a day or 2 has always cleared up any redness. We always have her in wool overnight when she's in her diaper forever. We just want her little bum to breathe then.

I'd definately try going diaperless for a bit and try to get the sun to hit your babe's butt when airing out. It can't hurt anyway.

Mostly I just wanted to send hugs your way and hope that someone has more useful advice for you.

If you think it's the diapers, I'd try stripping first. No soap at all, just really hot water.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well are you sure its not a yeast infection? If its not (askdrsears.com has pictures to refer to) then I know the best thing is a good long soak in the tub with some baking soda, lots of naked butt time, and squirt some breastmilk on it! (that stuff is called liquid gold for a reason
) I would then let the bumm air dry with the milk on it and then try some Triple Paste if you havent, or maybe A&d? Basically you want to give it lots of time to air out and keep it as dry as possible. I usually coat my little ones bumm once its been aired our for a while and then diaper her. The air is good and helps it dry out. Another thing to try is neosporin, I know it works if Lil'bit gets sores on her bumm. If it persists take your wee one to the dr...he can perscribe something that should help, or give you some other options.

As for the diapers, if its not a yeast infection I would just give them all a good washing. Maybe add some teatree oil or lavendar oil to the wash (both are disenfectants) Or just a good HOT washing with baking soda and vinegar. If you have any sun left by you you can also give them a good sunning, that will kill anything that might be hanging around.

Worse comes to worse, I sometimes give her a day in disposables totally coated in cream. Sometimes they seem to keep her dryier and then I dont have to worry about the cream wreaking havoc on my cds. But then again most times she gets her rashes from being in them soo go figure!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would definitley strip the diapers first. Turn your water heater up and then wash (no detergent) your diapers on hot several times. Look in the washes for soap bubbles. Keep washing until you see no soap bubbles. This should cure the problem.
Now to keep your diapers this way is the trick. How much detergent are you using? and what kind of water do you have? I have soft water and can only use a teaspoon of regular detergent. If you have hard water I would start off with a tablespoon and go up from there. It takes very little detergent to get diapers clean. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.