Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi about to delve into ECing in about 5 weeks when my baby gets here! I want to go diaperless from birth but have run into some downers. My husband is very supportive but others seem to be waiting for me to fail. I started out confident that we could but need some encouragement. Just wondering if any mamas out there have gone diaperless from birth and have any advice/support.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hi- Congratulations on your baby!!! I am not one who chose to go diaperless, but I was wondering what you mean by "fail". A lot of people definitely are skeptical about EC, for one reason or another. I can remember holding my baby diaperless in the bathroom at my mom's house because I wanted to see if she had any more poop and a friend of my mom's was telling me I couldn't take my baby potty. Even while I was, right in front of her! And had been for 6 or 7 weeks, however old she was at the time. Part of the EC journey for me has been not worrying about what others think, and knowing that they just don't get it! Whichever route you decide- diaper back up or not- you can definitely do EC! Sometimes things come up where you don't get to start right away, and that's ok, too. Definitely not a sign of failure.<br><br>
There are a few on here who don't use diapers at all, hopefully they will see your post and chime in!<br><br>
Enjoy!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Most people use diaper backup while practicing EC... I think there was a poll on here lately. I think that if you are very careful about your diet (no wheat, dairy, citrus, etc. for mom) and are in constant physical contact with your baby it's possible to go diaper free from an early age without too many mishaps, but most of us aren't that consistent.<br><br>
I wanted to start EC from birth but gave into pressure and even used disposables for the first few weeks. We had our first catch in a cafe between diapers on a crazy trip to get DD a passport when she was 3 weeks old. I would still have liked to start early, but there's a lot going on in those weeks and sleep and breastfeeding are probably more important at that stage, plus keeping yourself happy and together.<br><br>
So I guess what I'm saying is that you will probably want diaper backup, maybe not for the whole time, but often enough to make it worth having a few dozen prefolds on hand. Use with a diaper belt around the house and with a waterproof cover when needed.<br><br>
P.S. Sorry. I know this is not what you asked for. I just felt compelled to say that EC doesn't have to be all or nothing, and that you can let your husband have the backup he's afraid you'll need without giving up on full-time EC. Perhaps he's afraid that he won't "get it" or won't be as in tune with the baby's signals, or something like that.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Even if you are 100% "on" with ECing, prefolds are handy for other baby messes.<br><br>
Remember, even in cultures where everyone ECs and they've got extended family spotting cues they have misses. They've reduced the stress of misses by having a culture where it's okay to occasionally have a bit of baby pee on you. You need to figure out what will make you less stressed about misses too. Because being stressed about misses makes for more misses, ime.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
i wonder what the definition of 'success' or 'failure' is, and whether it's even the same definition that you have? since a lot of people have the misconception that EC is potty training, they might see any/all misses as failures. i don't even think about the misses, any catch is a success and one less diaper i have to wash and one more opportunity to keep my baby clean and dry and to help her learn how to control her elimination. even if she doesn't become potty independent any earlier than she would've if i'd done conventional diapering, i wouldn't see that as a failure at all. though many on-lookers might.<br><br>
i think if you are concerned about other people's perception of whether you are succeeding or failing (which is sometimes inevitable even though you don't want to care), diaper back-up can really help you to not stress, and to enjoy the ride. when you don't have a diaper on the baby and you have a miss, it's pretty out there for everyone to see. if you happen to be wearing or holding the baby at the time, you and the baby are wet/poopy/both and having that happen in front of other people can be embarrassing.<br><br>
i don't usually make announcements about pottying the baby or about changing a diaper. i just get up and go to the bathroom with my bag. if she's wet i potty her then put on a dry dipe, if she's dry i potty her and put her dipe back on. while i don't *at all* hide the fact that i EC, i also don't feel that it's anyone else's business particularly and i don't want to feel like a side show or something. i think the best way to get people to accept what you do is to treat it as utterly and totally normal, not to make a big deal out of it.<br><br>
anyway, i dunno, for me i like having the diapers as back up so i can just relax and enjoy EC'ing. i think i would be waay to stressed out about catches and be running her to the potty every 5 minutes when we were out if i didn't have a diaper on her. at home we are nudie a lot. most of the time. but man, when i'm having a bad day or she's teething or my older kids are sick or whatever it is that's making EC particularly difficult one day, it's nice to be able to slap a diaper on her butt and not sweat it.<br><br>
but i think you absolutely *can* Ec without diapers. in fact, i think i definitely could. but i think i personally enjoy it more when i have the choice to use a diaper if i need one.<br><br>
and i say diaper throughout here, but we've been using trainers since she was about, i dunno, 4 or 5 months old.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Don't worry, you will prove them all wrong! I was a bartender before I got pregnant, and I told my co-workers (my close gf's) that I was planning on doing EC. Not only did they laugh at me, calling me a hippie, crzy, etc, (and oh, we will see how long THAT lasts) they actually set up a potty pool at the bar, to SEE HOW LONG IT LASTS!!!! I couldn't beleive them!!!! Then, when I completely diaper free by two weeks, including night time, they all were like "Wow! I didnt think it could be done! That's really cool! Wish someone told me about that when I had my kids." lol EC has been around since, well, I'm pretty sure primates even do ec. I'm sure the momma apes dont let their babes just pee all over them!!! and they sure as heck dont make diapers out of leaves :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
We went diaperless from birth, and still don't use diapers at home.<br><br>
When we go on trips in the car, DS wears a gDiaper (the flushable kind), but rarely soils it because he fusses when he needs to toilet and we just pull over.<br><br>
For a toilet, we mainly use a small Ziploc storage container with a lid. We also have a clear floor potty, but this is used mostly by DH at home in the evenings. The storage container is supposed to be a temporary fix until we order a potty bowl, but we have postponed ordering it because car rides have proven the usefulness of the lid. When you are pressed for time and weather or other conditions only allow for an in-car pee or poo, the lid saves the day by providing a no-mess solution until the next place you can empty the toilet. It's a great receptacle for a dirty diaper, too.<br><br>
DS is now 6 wks old and ECing like a champ. We have about 3-5 misses a day now on average. I'm a SAHM and also practice Attachment Parenting. The Storchenwiege wrap we have helps tremendously, especially in that DH can participate in EC easier and we can pop DS in and out of the wrap as needed.<br><br>
I encourage you to accept your self-made "diaperless challenge" and leave the naysayers to their own thoughts. Cheers to you for wanting to go diaperless!

·
Registered
906 Posts
I had very similar reactions from just about everyone. My mother even accused me of teaching my baby "circus tricks". It is a challenge to tune that out, but I am working on it. I decided just to go about doing what I feel is right for my family. I am sorry I can't share it with people like my mom, but that hasn't stopped us from being really successful with it. You can totally do it!<br><br>
Ophelia is 4 months and we started at 3 months...I didn't even know about it before that. She goes nakie bum a lot at home and I can say that even so, having prefolds around is awesome. We use them for spit up, wiping hands, and I also keep a couple by the potty for drying off her bum after we rinse under the tap. We lay one under her when she's nakie bum so the couch doesn't soak up a miss, and also I also use them a lot under her when she's in her sling too, for the same reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts