Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I just posted this a couple of days ago on another thread so I copied it here. It has milk in it, but I've substituted coconut milk in the past, and I'm thinking almond milk would work great, too. Almond milk would be especially good if you use almond butter, too. Really, the milk is just there to disolve the sugar. I've also subbed carob powder for the cocoa powder, if you happen to have that on hand instead.

__________________________________________________ __________

Okay, here's the healthy-ish no-bake cookie recipe. You can add other things like hemp seeds, chia seeds, etc., if you happen to have those around, too. I typed the recipe as it was given to me, then added my own substitutions and such in parenthesis.

6 tablespoons whole milk (Non-homogenized, if you can get it.)
1/3 cup sugar (I use Rapadura or substitute xylitol.)
1 + Tbsp cocoa powder (Just depends on how much of a chocolate taste you want. A tablespoon will be plenty chocolatey.)
3 tsps vanilla
2/3 cup peanut butter (I've recently tried subbing homemade almond butter to good effect. Unsweetened nut butter is best, if you're looking to reduce sugar intake.)
3 tsps ground flax seed (I have used up to 1/4 cup of flax seed, and I've put it in whole, too.)
2 cups oatmeal

Combine milk, cocoa, and sugar in a pan over high heat. Heat until boiling. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and peanut butter, stirring until peanut butter is melted. Add flax seeds and oatmeal and stir until well combined.

Drop by spoonfulls onto wax paper and refridgerate until firm. (Or, eat it right out of the pan, if you prefer. Not that we've ever done that around here or anything.
) Makes between 12 and 24 cookies, depending on size of each cookie. (Closer to 15 or so, when I make them.)

No one ever believes these are "healthy" when I make them. And everyone eats them right up!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Oh, and just in case you wanted margarine free solely because of the trans fats, I wanted to let you know that there are trans fat free margarines. I believe Earth Balanace is one? (I've never bought it, personally, but I know it exists.) Also, you can get a trans fat free palm oil shortening, made by Spectrum. HTH!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Is it cow's milk that he is allergic to? What about goat's milk or sheep's milk? When I lived in Europe, those things were much more easily obtained. Goat's milk is much closer in composition to human breastmilk than is cow's milk, and it also has a different protein, which is often the heart of the allergy issue. Just a thought.

Where in Europe are you? I lived in Europe for 20+ years. I miss it!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdmama33
Ah yes, I think you're right about the soy. I remember that from my reading now.

Yes, we use coconut oil, too. And sometimes the Spectrum palm oil shortening I mentioned.
I've used both of those in cookies successfully (we are dairy and soy free here). The Spectrum shortening is not hydrogenated. For eggs, ground flax seeds whipped up with water make a pretty good substitute. It doesn't work in all recipes, but you could experiment.

Quote:
To make the flax seed substitute, combine 1 TBS of ground flax seed with 3 TBS of water for each egg white you need. Mix it well and let the mixture sit for 1 to 2 minutes. Add to the recipe as you would an egg.
From here .

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I moved this to the Allergies forum. Also, there is a great cookbook called Food Allergy Survival Guide which has really good recipes free of common allergens.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here's oatmeal cookies we make:

1 cup of whatever butter sub you can use (I've used Earth Balance and also coconut oil which makes them taste like coconut....good if you like that)

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 egg substitute (I use 2 Tbs oil, 2 Tbs warm water and 1 tsp of baking powder...mix well and dump it in while it's foaming)
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup oat flour (you could use wheat flour if wheat is ok)
3 cups of rolled oats
1 cup of chocolate chips (any kind you're allowed or chop up a bar of dark chocolate. Or use raisins, but seriously, chocolate is better!)

Mix all together and drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes.
Here's the important part: Do NOT cook more than 8 minutes. They will not appear to be done....they will look really raw. Take them out anyway and allow to cool on the cookie sheet. We use an airbake, but I don't know if that's important. When cool they will still be kind of crumbly, but not too bad.
Seriously, take them out even though you're sure they're not done. If you cook them longer they get really hard and not good. EIGHT minutes at 350!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming. I never knew about the flaxseed as an egg substitute. I am going to try it.

I just found this recipe online (I can't find the original link, wah!) and I made them today and they came out soooooo goooood. This is the first time I tried to make allergen free cookies for my son.

1/4 C packed brown sugar
1/4 C white sugar
3/4 C applesauce
1 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 C rolled oats
1/2 C raisins
1/2 C walnuts

Mix and bake at 350 until they feel firm on top. (I don't have a normal oven-don't ask) about 10-12 minutes.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
This is an interesting one I tried recently:

2 cups white sugar
1 cup shortening/oil/whatever (anything seems to work...)
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour (whole wheat works better)
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
12 ounces chocolate chips

Cream the sugar, shortening, pumpkin and vanilla together. Mix until light and well combined.

Stir in everything else.

Plop approx 1.5" balls on baking sheet.

Bake at 375 for 12-15 min.

ETA - "interesting" because I thought it was an odd flavor combo, but the kids loved it. The cookies came out very cake-y

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OMG they don't have that pumpkin puree in a can here. You know the one you use to make pumpkin pie. Oh dear the last couple of weeks I've been craving that nasty Libby's brand (I think it was called Libby's) pumpkin puree.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PumpkinSeeds
OMG they don't have that pumpkin puree in a can here. You know the one you use to make pumpkin pie. Oh dear the last couple of weeks I've been craving that nasty Libby's brand (I think it was called Libby's) pumpkin puree.

If you're feeling ambitious you can make your own pumpkin puree. I think it only specifies canned because they were trying to make life easy; a lot of the recipes on that site are 'convenience' oriented. And wouldn't you know, I had one sitting in my cabinet from like a year and a half ago, and I was out of eggs...and I had promised the kids chocolate chip cookies...so this recipe got tried LMAO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.