Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok mamas - I need some serious help! DD is 18 mos and biting to latch - I'm considering weaning out of pain, not because I want to...anyone have the #s to lactation consultants or ANYONE who I can talk to about this? I posted in the Extended BFing forum but didn't really get any insight...

TIA

Dee

·
Registered
854 Posts
Hi
My ds did this too!! I think it was teething.
Your LLL leader should have lots of tips for you. On the vancouver thread (welcoming summer) one (or more) moms is LLL, her handle is LLLmoma.
i just took him off before he could bite, like right when the sucking stopped, they can't suck and bite at the same time.
saying gently" no bitting" or that hurts mommy, and taking the baby off.

Good luck
I hope this helps. 18 months is still so young, I understand not "wanting" to wean, It is hard to have a good nursingrelationship when you are getting bitten
Elizabeth

·
Registered
854 Posts
I read your siggy, and it says you are expecting? Your milk could be drying up and baby is bitting to out of frustration? I am not an expert or anythng.
But I have 2 moms in my LLL that are tandem nursing and nursed all through out their pg's.
I 'm sorry I don't know how to help!!!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your kind (and fast!) replies...I definately need to call someone.

Yes,I am 18 weeks pregnant and I know this also increases sensitivity. DD was a really late teether and I think her teeth are sharp (ie not worn down by food). She also doesn't know how to wield them gently...she doesn't bite really, more when she latches on her teeth accidentally spear my Ns
It's like running knives through them (sigh)

Again thanks..

Dee

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
You can also call the health region in your area and they will refer you to a lactation consultant. I did this when my dd was born, because it was so painful, turned out she had a tongue tie.

Sandra Yates from the North Shore LLL is also awesome. Her # is 988-1284

·
Registered
454 Posts
The lactation consultants at my local (Chilliwack) public health unit were FANTASTIC. Many lower mainland health units have free drop-in breastfeeding clinics where you can speak privately with a lactation consultant. Try calling your local health unit!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts