Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Dh is about to embark on school this fall full time, and I am working part time as an RN. We homeschool, and due to major difficulties picking up a babysitter me picking up many extra shifts is not an option to majorly increase our income. (Also with essentially being a single mom due to dh studying the next 7 months I need to keep my sanity and my kid's sanity)Therefore, we are going to have to be even more frugal with food than we already are! I make all my own baking including buns and bread from scratch, but find my budget fails when it comes to meal planning (stuff in my pantry is there which I have long forgot what recipie it is for). The kids are not big into beans, believe me, so beans and rice is a 2 or 3 times tried failure...same goes for pasta salads, etc. We try to not eat lots of meat, and I stretch it as much as possible...for example I BBQ'd chicken breasts last nite and made extra, and today I am making chicken fried rice with brown rice, or will make a chicken salad sandwich or whatever.

I am wondering if you ladies have any good websites or cookbooks of frugal recipies that are HEALTHY! I have seen ones like the Hillbilly Housewife website or the More with Less Cookbook and I get turned off by so many frugal recipies that emphasize white flour, white bread, major emphasis on starchy stuff and pouring a condensed can of soup in some hamburger type recipies! know many people here swear by them, so no offense I hope.Stes that make good use of leftovers would be appreciated...more in line with a more "modern" approach to cooking if that makes sense...I have the Use it Up Cookbook (author...?) and it was published in the late 70's/early 80's I think, but I have the same complaints about it.

And before I go, my main complaints about cookbooks in general these days including many I have is they are too damn gourmet! Must I buy arugala and goat cheese to make a salad that my kids won't eat!?!?! And make a restaurant style gourmet meal every night? Are we so easily bored every night that we must make something fancy and different every night? SHeeeeesh!

In short, any ideas from you wise ladies would be appreciated! Tina

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I haven't found one overall site or book that meets my frugal food needs but there are a few good ones around. Mainly, I google cheap food items for new recipes, ie "lentils" "chili" "beans" "hamburger." Then I see what I can find that looks good and cheap.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don't know if this will help you, but here's a short list of some of our favorite meals that always have leftovers for at least one or two days (sometimes more). BTW ~ I cook for a family of 6 (me and the baby, hubby and 3 boys ages 6, 7 and 8)!

Enchiladas (beans, rice, and your choice of meat, a little cheese over the top) this is great for leftovers since you really don't need a lot of meat to make them tasty. I usually make two pans each one with about 10 filled tortillas.

Teriyaki chicken (grill a few chicken breasts and make a pot of rice) add a big salad on the side and you won't use as much meat per plate

Taco salad (beans, ground turkey) again heavy on the veggie side to save the meat and it'll last a couple days ~ I bought a couple of those fluted pans for baking your own tortilla bowls and they work great!

Chicken cacciatore (chicken, pasta, sauce, a little cheese over the top) another great one for leftovers of spaghetti and chicken, I usually make up a 9x13 pan filled all the way to the top, and it lasts us for about 3-4 days

Spaghetti (we make our own sauce - well DH makes it! - with the huge commercial size cans of tomato sauce and paste you get at Costco and a flat of fresh tomatoes and some ground turkey, we freeze it all and it lasts us for a couple months)

Homemade pizza (this is soo cheap if you make your own dough!) I usually end up making this at least once a week since the boys love it so much, I use our homemade spaghetti sauce and we buy the huge bag of shredded mozzerella and cheap toppings (leftover meats are yummy on this!)

Chicken alfredo (I usually only make this if we've bought a big tub of sour cream and it's close to getting icky since it's sooo fattening!) But it's so yummy
chicken, pasta and homemade alfredo sauce (sour cream, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese)

Other cost savers, we don't buy soda, we rarely buy chips/other junk food (maybe once every couple months and then it's only a bag for a special treat), we've switched over completely to soy milk (except for cheese) - although I think that's more a healthy than frugal thing! our Costco membership has been great for being able to make large amounts of things and then freeze/save them (although we kinda need Costco just because of the size of our family
)

Anyhow, I hope those ideas help some!

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
I make a lot of soups, stews and pasta dishes. I also make pizza from scratch that is pretty cheap.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just going through some of the sites I have saved to my favorites list, I found www.miserlymoms.com ; haven't looked at that in a while but seems to be some good, basic, stretch-able recipes there. I also like Kraft Foods' site--they have basic recipes that I can tinker with a bit to make healthier/my own special ways.
I think using allrecipes.com's ingredients search is handy (enter in ingredients you have and it gives you a list of recipes using them.) But by far, my greatest resource for cheap, easy and healthy meals are Reiman Publication's magazines, mainly Quick Cooking (which I think is now called Simple & Delicious.) They also have Light & Tasty and Taste of Home. We have several years' worth of their magazines in our kitchen, and for me, they're invaluable. Well worth the cost of subscription.

HTH some and GL!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts